Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madtripper

What is your favorite Daffodil/Narcissis

madtripper
17 years ago

It is time to order bulbs. What are your favourite?

Comments (15)

• vetivert8
    17 years ago

bulbocodium 'Nylon' and tazetta (8) 'Minnow'.

• pitimpinai
    17 years ago

madtripper,
    You don't ask a simple question, do you? :-) How can one choose from hundreds on the market? :-D

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite Narcissi and other spring bulbs

• jackied164 z6 MA
    17 years ago

Thalia. I love white daffodils and this one for some reason has really hooked me. Thalia = Spring for me.

• tjsangel
    17 years ago

I love the little dwarf ones, like Tete a tete. They intermix well with my red tulips. Carlton is a good one for me. Also I'm fond of Narcissus poeticus, Pheasant's Eye. It's the latest to bloom and fragrant.

Jen

• oakleif
    17 years ago

I would really like to get a double narcissi called Tahiti. Has anyone had any of their pink jonquils turn to white after a few years? I've got one that turned white.

• lam702
    17 years ago

It's so hard to pick a favorite, I love them all. But, if I had to choose, I guess I would pick the yellow ones with the deep orange trumpets, like fortissimo. I love doubles, but they do tend to flop over. An old classic that I still love is Mount Hood, a pure white. I'm not a big fan of the so called "pink" daffodils, most of them are more of a washed out pale peach in my garden.

• shapiro
    17 years ago

This is for Oaklief: I recommend Tahiti highly - it is a beautiful yellow and orange daffodil. I don't grow pink jonquils - for the same reason that I don't grow pink delphiniums or blue roses.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    17 years ago

If I could grow only one daff it would be 'Hawera'. Multiflowered, small yellow (not gold)blooms, and thin, grass-like foliage that disappears fast. A lovely, graceful narcissus.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    17 years ago

I love all the small doubles. I bought a mix of all doubles so I can test them all, and maybe get more of what I like. I had White Medal this year for the first time. That was the biggest darn daffodil I ever saw! It bloomed so late I thought they had not come up. I thought the foliage was that of the alliums I had planted. In my mind it was too big. I had to stake some of them. I'll keep it but I'm more interested in smaller doubles. Mary Copeland, a yellow /orange double, was very pretty but none (out of a dozen) came back this year. I love both white and yellow Cheerfulness. They bloom late so are a lovely surprise when they turn up. So dainty and graceful. Mine never spread, though. I wonder if that's true of doubles in general?

• laurelin
    17 years ago

My favorite is Narcissus poeticus 'Recurvus' - the Poet's Daffodil. It blooms late, and has a wonderful fragrance. I also like 'Geranium' and 'Minnow,' and 'Dickcissel,' and. . . .

Laurel

• hopflower
    17 years ago

The biggest and yellowest daffs, the Dutch Masters, are my favourites. Nothing like them in the spring!

• bspofford
    17 years ago

If I plant for cutting, I like 'Replete" and anything double or pink. "Palmeres" is gorgeous too. For the yard, the Dutch Masters really pop.
    I have a shipment on the way with a new bulb called Apricot Whirl, oooh I can hardly wait til spring to see it in real life.

Barbara

• iris_gal
    17 years ago

Chromocolor (hope that is correct spelling) was drop dead gorgeous last year. Amazing substance and what a beautiful apricot-pink trumpet. A friend gave me one bulb and I'm itching to dig and see if it's multiplied.

I love Hawera for daintyness, Thalia (white triandus) to combine with other bulbs and bedding plants, and best of all I love Pheasant's Eye or any other poetica type.

Someone posted a link 4 years ago or so to a place with heritage daffodil pics. Wasn't a commercial site. I saw daffs I'd never heard of. If anybody has that URL, please share it. TIA

• karenforroses
    17 years ago

Like many others, I love the miniature daffodils as you can tuck them in a number of spots and they brighten up that area. Tete A Tete, Minnow, and Hawera are three of my favorite. Of course, I love those big yellow guys too - like the Dutch Masters. They bring a blast of sunshine when we need it most.

• canadensis
    17 years ago

Easy, Hawera. If I could only have one, that would be it.
    It's great soft colour works particularly well with low-angle spring light. Naturalises too.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living