Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Found Bulbs- Will they grow?

Posted by valtorrez 6a (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 13, 09 at 23:02

While doing some yard work today on a home I purchased 1 year ago. I dug up approx 30 iris bulbs (I believe they are Iris bulbs because the section I got them from have a bunch of sword like foliage that I believe are Iris plants). Some of the bulbs already had some roots come out of them. The area that I was working in has some stong, erect folliage but I do not remember it flowering possibly due to not getting enough sun or I saw the rhizomes out of the dirt. I don't know when these were planted but I placed garden soil/compost over the already erect iris and took the bulbs, I found, and placed them in a roll behind my tiger daylilies that do not bloom until July to see if these bulbs will come about. The bulbs were not mushy or soft. I placed them in the rows about 4 inches apart with compost and gadern soil. What is the chances that they will root? Also, in the area that I stated I saw other iris, i saw folliage that was pushing through the dirt in that area. This folliage was not there several weeks ago. What could be going on?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Found Bulbs- Will they grow?

They certainly ought to grow for you. Bearded irises need to be divided every few years to do their very best. You want to look for young, firm, unblemished rhizomes and discard the old, withered, chewed on, etc.

The one odd thing about these is they don't like to have the tops of their rhizomes buried underneath the soil. I dig a hole, make a mound of good, amended, fertile soil in the hole and nearly to the top of it. Then set the rhizome right on top with the roots draping over and around the mound. Backfill around the mound, cover the roots, but leave the top 1/3 to 1/2 of the rhizome exposed to the air. They may or may not bloom well next year, but should put on a great show the following one. They like regular water (though not soggy) and fertilizer in the spring. Good luck!

o

I dont have a rhizome. I just have round bulbs. I'm scared because I found the bulbs in the same area I have Iris but a friend stated how do I know I did not find onion bulbs. Is there a way I can tell?

o

Hmmmn. Since you have planted the bulbs, just watch them carefully. Chances are they will come up. Blooms? Maybe, maybe not. Alot of bulbs don't bloom the first year after they are dug and transplanted.

If they are onions, the foliage will smell oniony when it is bruised. Keep in mind that there are ornamental onions (alliums). I assume they would smell oniony too, but I don't grow them so don't know for sure. Without a better description of the bulb, plant, and/or flower, I think that's the best I can do for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here