Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eimer_gw

Do I dare: daffodils under camelia in clay?

Eimer
9 years ago

On the east side of our house, we have 2 Winter Star camelia bushes which are doing fine, although they are in red clay soil which is usually wet and heavy especially in the winter months. (Frogs and toads live there.) A nearby stairwell for the basement may be helping with drainage as there's a wall going about 8 feet down beside and under the camelias on one side, only about one foot from the base of the main trunks. Close to that downward wall, and under the camelias, I want to plant something for color above the light leaf litter which is always over the soil.

I am considering daffodils. Elsewhere in the yard we have many which are doing well, including the divison 6 cyclamineus daffodils Jetfire, February Gold and Jack Snipe. Cyclamineus daffodils do better, so I've read, with more shade and clay than others. I would also love to plant Hawera, Tete a tete, Thalia, poeticus there, and others. But?

I'm eager to hear about experience and advice on this, well as any other recommendations on what I could or should plant under the camelias.

Comments (8)

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Does the area receive at least 6 hrs. sun? If not, I doubt daffodils would perform. How long has Winter Star being living there?
    Camellias do not like havng their surface roots disturbed. Hardy cyclamen maybe (drainage ?). Perhaps Dicentra (Bleeding Hearts) in front. ..

• Eimer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The camelias have been there for at least 10 years, perhaps 15. They get a fair amount of sun, about 6 hours of morning sunshine. But anything underneath them won't get much sun other than what makes it through their canopy. Flecks of light only.

There are too many bleeding hearts in the yard already, and I would prefer something not as tall. I will look at cyclamen plants. Thank you for recommending this.

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

If the area is wet, what about planting one of the few noisture loving bulbs, like liatris or camassia quamash?

• Eimer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, edlincoln, I will research those two.

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

A ground cover I have grown under camellias is Campanula poscharskyana. It was about the only thing that grew in the low light. I prefer Campanula portenslagiana, also a ground cover but flowers are bell shaped instead of star and the lavender color is richer. Here it's not as aggressive as C. poscharskyana.

• Eimer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, iris gal. I love campanula blossoms but haven't had one for years as they were overgrown by a dense azalea. Thanks for the reminder.

• vetivert8
    9 years ago

If they are not pest plants in your area - Hyacinthoides (bluebells) will perform reasonably in those conditions.

You could also try Solomon's seal - perhaps variegated to add extra light and texture. It will cope with the roots of the Camellias.

Another possible is Epimedium (bishops' hats), Perhaps not sulfurea, but there are some with white, or soft yellow flowers, so not too startling with the usual pinks, reds, splashes of the Camellias. Or quite nice with the soft whites and yellow varieties (Jury's Yellow, for example). Or Vancouveria.

If you have a suitable microclimate - and don't mind a brave scarlet - Anomatheca laxa is also possible.

Hardy ferns, perhaps, but those fallen flowers can be quite smothering.

And Liriope muscari, if it hasn't been 'done to death' in your area.

I wouldn't plant directly under. If you have the room, plant beyond the drip line (and main leaf/blossom drop zone) of the Camellias where the plantings can mask the bare zone but it is still clear for feeding, mulching, and access for pruning.

• Donna
    9 years ago

Another bulb to consider for this spot is Snowflakes. (Galanthus nivalis). They are very tolerant of wet heavy soil and shade too. Still, I wouldn't plant them immediately under the camellias but around the base. They bloom very early and the foliage ripens before summer too. The white color would be gorgeous with any camellia you can imagine.

You must get fresh bulbs. Ideally from a fellow gardener but certainly from a reputable company. NOT from a big box store. They don't last long out of the ground. And you must plant them immediately. Left undisturbed they get better and better as time goes by.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County