Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would you plant with tulips?

Posted by hmmm562 6a (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 24, 09 at 23:29

I am a new gardener. I just bought some bulbs for next spring. I am wondering what I should plant with tulips, so I can still have something there at the same spot after the tulips is done for the season? I made a mistake last year by just planting tulips. After the tulips were done, there were only weeds growing there. :( I have teamed up allium with daffodils.

I am in Zone 6a and I have the same address as deers have. Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would you plant with tulips?

Tulips like to be on the dry side in summer, so how about something drought tolerant, like Snow-in-Summer (Cerastrium tomentosum) or hardy iceplants (Delosperma species). People who actually live in a cold climate probably have a lot more suggestions: I'm just harking back to my college days in Flagstaff, AZ (z 5). : )

o
RE: What would you plant with tulips?

I'm not sure how hardy any of these would be for you, but here goes: Paeony, Delphinium, Euphorbia (the coloured ones not the 'weeds'!), Salvia, Scabious, Aubrieta, dwarf bearded Iris, Helleborus foetida (more for foliage than flowers once the tulips have gone) 'daisies' - eg Arctotis, Gazania, Osteospermum - Verbena and Verbascum, Origanum, Penstemon, Nicotiana, Dianthus annual and perennial.

Unless you're aiming for a massive 'show' of tulips it might help to make them more like temporary decorations for the main display. Patches of delightful colour while the main show is coming into leaf and bud.

With big displays the 'easiest way' is to lift all the bulbs, feed the ground richly, and plant out your bedding plants to give a further magnificent display. (It helps to have hired help for this kind of production.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here