Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fostoriana aka Emperor Tulips

Posted by cynthianovak 7/8 TX (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 07 at 23:57

Hi All
I've never planted this type of tulip, but love the mix on the front of both Scheepers and High Country Gardens catalogues...I guess lots of folks will love the images.

BUT, would you tell me what your experience with these are?

thank you
as you can tell, reworking my annual order
cynthia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fostoriana aka Emperor Tulips

I planted one pack of Red Emperor a couple years ago. Giant neon red tulips that come up early, long stems that can blow over in the wind. Something has been digging up that garden, but at least 2 out of the original 5 maybe are still coming up.

I haven't seen those catalogues, are the yellow ones this impressive?

o

here's the mixture. They don't have the cover photo...darn. But they do look top heavy
v

Here is a link that might be useful: mix

o

Emperor tulips would make a poor mix. They bloom at different times, are different heights, and the flowers are different sizes. Also, only Red comes up year after year.

o

Those are earlier than other tulips, quite tall and have noticeably larger flowers, huge petals, so plant them away from the very edge of the bed. I had Flaming Purissima last year and they looked great, except that there were many more white flowers than pink-veined ones (the photos usually show much pink ones). I do not know about mixing them.

o

Fosteriana (note spelling) tulips are good and dependable naturalizers where tulips are treated as perennials. Our various Emperors multiply every year. The white 'Purissima' is a known fosteriana naturalizer.

o

cynthianovak,
First off, I find that many times folks forget, or don't realize the great pains and expense that many nurseries go to in order to achieve those perfect pictures. It is common practice for some growers to "stage plant" these beds specifically for one photo-shoot. I have seen where hundreds of plants may be dug and planted before they get that one picture that they feel is perfect. The other thing to bear in mind is that these photos show us what would be possible if everything were absolutely perfect. Possible? Yes - but highly unlikely.

As to raising these, or any spring-flowering bulb for that matter, yess they will come back year after year and bloom nicely as long as you keep them properly fed at the right times, properly watered and dig them about every three years, divide the bulbs and rejuvinate the beds.

It is just my opinion, but I think Tulips are a flower that looks best planted to view from a little distance and not up close as in the front of the bed. Also, if you tend to have a lot of wind, it would be advisable to provide some form of support for any of the tall species. However, I find this to be a simple thing provided you do this at planting time. I use painted coat hangers and soda straws. I'll be glad to give you or anyone more information on this if you will drop me a line at - plantman.ozarks@yahoo.com

Also, you might check out the website below. They have a lot of great information and a pretty good newsletter that covers a little bit of everything.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening Resource

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here