Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

Fostoriana aka Emperor Tulips

cynthianovak
16 years ago

Hi All

I've never planted this type of tulip, but love the mix on the front of both Scheepers and High Country Gardens catalogues...I guess lots of folks will love the images.

BUT, would you tell me what your experience with these are?

thank you

as you can tell, reworking my annual order

cynthia

Comments (6)

• Janine Starykowicz
    16 years ago

I planted one pack of Red Emperor a couple years ago. Giant neon red tulips that come up early, long stems that can blow over in the wind. Something has been digging up that garden, but at least 2 out of the original 5 maybe are still coming up.

I haven't seen those catalogues, are the yellow ones this impressive?

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    16 years ago

here's the mixture. They don't have the cover photo...darn. But they do look top heavy
    v

Here is a link that might be useful: mix

• tom_mn
    16 years ago

Emperor tulips would make a poor mix. They bloom at different times, are different heights, and the flowers are different sizes. Also, only Red comes up year after year.

• anna_beth
    16 years ago

Those are earlier than other tulips, quite tall and have noticeably larger flowers, huge petals, so plant them away from the very edge of the bed. I had Flaming Purissima last year and they looked great, except that there were many more white flowers than pink-veined ones (the photos usually show much pink ones). I do not know about mixing them.

• alpiner
    16 years ago

Fosteriana (note spelling) tulips are good and dependable naturalizers where tulips are treated as perennials. Our various Emperors multiply every year. The white 'Purissima' is a known fosteriana naturalizer.

• pbandj_grow
    16 years ago

cynthianovak,
    First off, I find that many times folks forget, or don't realize the great pains and expense that many nurseries go to in order to achieve those perfect pictures. It is common practice for some growers to "stage plant" these beds specifically for one photo-shoot. I have seen where hundreds of plants may be dug and planted before they get that one picture that they feel is perfect. The other thing to bear in mind is that these photos show us what would be possible if everything were absolutely perfect. Possible? Yes - but highly unlikely.

As to raising these, or any spring-flowering bulb for that matter, yess they will come back year after year and bloom nicely as long as you keep them properly fed at the right times, properly watered and dig them about every three years, divide the bulbs and rejuvinate the beds.

It is just my opinion, but I think Tulips are a flower that looks best planted to view from a little distance and not up close as in the front of the bed. Also, if you tend to have a lot of wind, it would be advisable to provide some form of support for any of the tall species. However, I find this to be a simple thing provided you do this at planting time. I use painted coat hangers and soda straws. I'll be glad to give you or anyone more information on this if you will drop me a line at - plantman.ozarks@yahoo.com

Also, you might check out the website below. They have a lot of great information and a pretty good newsletter that covers a little bit of everything.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening Resource

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz