Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refrigerate without planting first?

Posted by scully931 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 24, 09 at 0:08

Hi,

I could have sworn that last year I put my tulip bubls in a paper bag and in the refrigerator for about 8 weeks. When the time was up, I got them out, planted them and put the container in a sunny window. They were gorgeous.

But, I've been looking up how to do it (to refresh my memory) and I can't find one article that doesn't say you can refrigerate without planting. They are saying to plant them then put the entire pot in the frige.

Can't I do it my way? :-)
Also, do I need to put the planted bulbs into a dark space after chilling and planting. I don't believe I did that either last year.

Thank you for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refrigerate without planting first?

I think it would be fine to just refrigerate without potting first. For that matter, If you have just purchased the bulbs, and they have been prechilled, as most are, I think, you could just store them in a cool dry place until potting them up for forcing.

If you do it your way. I think you would just plant them, water them, and set them in a warm place in the home, with no need for darkness.

Hopefully someone else will weigh in with some more input.

Sue

o

I refrigerate in the bags they came in every year with no problem. I have a garden refrigerator that does not self defrost and has little drying effect on the bulbs. Here in the warm winter west, refrigerating is a must, and I have never seen bulbs offered that claimed to have been pre-chilled. When removed from refrigerator they should be planted right away. Al

o

Al,

The only place that I have seen offer pre-chilled bulbs is Brent and Becky's Bulbs. They have a huge selection of bulbs, and then they offer pre-chilled bulbs. They may have a sale going on right now. I think next month they offer 1/2 off sales.

http://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/

Danielle

o

You folks are right...Most bulbs are likely not prechilled unless they specifically say they have been. Sorry.

Sue

o

Thanks for all the quick advice! I have also not seen pre-chilled bulbs. Too bad, seems there would be a market for them.

Threw the bulbs in the refrigerator last night and marked the calendar. Should have some lovely blooms around mid-February. One of the blah-est months! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here