Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elleni_gw

Fall Closeout Sales Online?

elleni
14 years ago

Has anyone seen any good end-of-season bulb sales at the online shops yet?

Comments (28)

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, since no one else has posted anything, I guess I'll start off with one I just found...

Blooming Bulb has started adding things to their "overstock" sale page-- "up to 40% off".

Here is a link that might be useful: BloomingBulb Overstock Sale

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    14 years ago

Brent and beckys sent me an e-mail with just daffodils on sale. Have not checked it out as I don't need them right now.

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the tip, linnea56. It looks like they are running a 25% off tulips sale right now as well-- through 10/23.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brent & Becky's Specials Page

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Looks like someone started a similar thread last year. Seems like most places don't start the best deals until after Halloween.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2008

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

I did ask B&B when they plan their annual 50% off sale and they told me not until November. I remember buying all my bulbs in November last year.

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just got an email that they are having half-off shrubs and plants and "up to" 50% off some bulbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Meadows sale email

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good prices on some (probably) average bulbs: No Tricks, Just Treats - Save 55-80% and Get $3.50 shipping on any order over $35 with coupon code "HALLOWEEN". Offer expires MONDAY, 11/2.

I'm tempted by the "Purple Prince Tulip Value Bag" 14 bulbs for $2.19.

Here is a link that might be useful: HollandBulbFarms.com No Tricks, Just Treats - Save 55-80%

• brit5467
    14 years ago

Elleni... you are SO evil :o) !!!!

Am somewhat new at gardening with bulbs (have Asiatics & Orientals, a few daffys, then some Dutch Iris but they were already growing when given to me). Then -- I got on that site you recommended and now have over 200 bulbs coming to me!!!! But I'm soooo excited. Several varieties of tulips & Cantab Dwarf Dutch Iris which I have NO experience with,

Any advance advice? ALL help would be appreciated.

My garden faces almost directly east and I get full sun until around 2pm. Have already amended soil with bagged manure.

Am about to put A&O lilies back in. Would tulips work well interplanted between them? How about the iris?

About how long do blooms last on tulips? And the irises? (And is it okay to ask these questions on THIS thread?)

Many thanks,
    Bonnie

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Bonnie.

I have not ordered anything from the Holland Farms sale... I really have enough bulbs waiting to be planted still, but I may be tempted by other sales!

You should probably check some of the other forums for answers to your questions. I sent you a message with a bit of info that I know.

Have fun!

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Up to 60% off all Fall planting bulbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: BloomingBulb.com Blowout Sale

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"Fall Flower Bulbs TRIPLE SAVINGS: SAVE 50%, Free Gift + Low Shipping!"

Looks like $7.95 flat-rate shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Meadows Fall Closeout

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anyone want to split this set of 50 "Triumph Tulip Blue Moon Mix" with me? I have been waiting for it to go on sale. I DO NOT need another 50 tulip bulbs, but I guess 25 would not hurt! Share store shipping and I'll cover the standard USPS mail to get you your half of the set?

Elleni

Here is a link that might be useful: American Meadows: Triumph Tulip Blue Moon Mix

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"We are starting our END OF SEASON SALE with 15% OFF selected varieties like Trumpet Daffodil King Alfred Jumbo, our Easter Egg Murillo Tulip Mixture, Allium schubertii and Orienpet Lily Red Hot. Check our WEBSITE SPECIALS for our 15% off items."

Not a very big list of sale items so far. Prices still a bit high for me. I've never ordered from them, but I understand they are a good company.

Here is a link that might be useful: Van Engelen Website Specials

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Has anyone seen any better deals yet? The weather here has me itching to buy some super deal bulbs!!!

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Final clearance at Van Engelen: 'Our final 25%-off all available outdoor flower bulbs starts now!'

Here is a link that might be useful: Van Engelen AVAILABILITY list

14 years ago

How is American Meadows in terms of quality?

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I bought two sets of "DARWIN HYBRID TULIP MIX" from them last year and they did well. Their customer service is good. I asked them last year to honor an ad that turned out to be a misprint and they did. And this year I emailed asking if they would offer lower shipping on an order of just seed packets and they said they would.

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

60% off remaining Fall bulbs and plants. Only a couple of bulb chocies left and just a bit more to choose from in perennial plants, but if you are in a zone that still has time to plant plants, you might see something.

Also, get free shipping with the code "MKA7013C" (without quotes) entered in the shopping cart!

I broke down and bought those "Purple Prince" lilies. I *know they won't end up purple, but 3 for $6.99 and free shipping isn't too much of a risk.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dutch Gardens Fall Closeout

14 years ago

Is Dutch Gardens a good company?

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Personally, I'll try most any company if it is a good deal. Of course, as they say (sometimes) you get what you pay for. You can read reviews on many garden companies over at Dave's Garden (Google it).

Dutch Garden's has a decent rating. I've only ordered from them a few times. They offer a guarantee on their plants.

14 years ago

There are a couple of vendors with similar names. ThatÂs why I was wondering. There is one that is NOT good, but I canÂt recall the name. I thought it was Dutch something. It is good to have feedback from people who were satisfied.

FWIW, I google searched that Purple Prince lily to see who else had it and what the pictures showed. I have a new "hot" color bed, with deep purples and oranges. If the color was really deep purple that would be great. Not too many people offer it but that could be because it is new. Other vendors use the exact same pic, so that must be from the grower/breeder. On Daves Garden a few people grow it and it looks more violet pink than deep purple. Still pretty.

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I tried to post a link to the Dutch Gardens page on Watchdog, but got an error that said this site would not allow links to Dave's Garden. Weird.

I noticed the exact same photo everywhere as well for the "Purple Prince"! It totally looks Photoshopped, but for $7 shipped I'll take a chance.

I was disappointed to find today that BloomingBulb.com did not whack everything down to 60% off today. They really are running out of time! I want some Carlton daffodils, but I want them at 34 cents each, not 50. I *really* don't need anything else, but with this warm November weather, I feel like there is plenty of time left to plant bulbs!!!! Thank goodness I don't have a car to sneak over to HomeDepot and the rest to spy what's on the clearance tables there!

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ha ha! Should I be worried that the only bulbs left at the DutchGardens clearance are the "Wood Hyacinth Mixture" and my "Purple Prince" lilies??? Does everyone else know something I don't? ;-)

14 years ago

I tried to post a link to the Dutch Gardens page on Watchdog, but got an error that said this site would not allow links to Dave's Garden. Weird.

I had the same problem. Got this scary message that suggested I was spamming Gardenweb or soliciting business. Considering how often in the past people here HAVE referenced DaveÂs garden, I think lots of us will be getting that message. I wonder if there is anyway to tell iVillage what DG really is? Since they have not answered my emails before (about anything) I rather doubt it.

I was disappointed to find today that BloomingBulb.com did not whack everything down to 60% off todayÂ.I *really* don't need anything else, but with this warm November weather, I feel like there is plenty of time left to plant bulbs!!!!

Me too. I have been watching since you mentioned the site hoping it will drop more. Though the weather has turned colder here so I may be out of time. Since you have ordered from them before, is there generally a date by which they discount further?

Thank goodness I don't have a car to sneak over to HomeDepot and the rest to spy what's on the clearance tables there!

IÂve already been to mine...twice! There was nothing special. Plus it was only 25% offÂnot much at all. Menards put everything on deep clearance over a month ago, and it sold out fast. ThatÂs MY kind of discount.

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't remember when the super discounts happened last year, but on November 17th I bought 50 Greigii Peacock Tulips for 25¢ each and 50 Mixed Darwin Hybrid Tulips for just 14¢ each! I found a print out for another order that I thankfully didn't submit from 11/27/08 (!!) with 20 Sky Blue Lilies @ 8¢ each and 25 Paperwhites @ 35¢ each. I should have gotten those Paperwhites-- no holes to dig!

Last year I ordered so many bulbs and waited so long to plant them that I was out a nearly a week past Thanksgiving pouring hot water on the ground to thaw it so that I could dig my holes. Even after all that, the tulips came up just fine this year!

14 years ago

Doing it so late doesn't always work out, though. I learned that last year. Half the daffodils I planted on Dec 1 did not come up.

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I know. I get the feeling Tulips are the most forgiving. It was only tulips left by time the hot water had to be brought out last Fall. While I am holding out for cheap(er) daffodils, I know I may be pushing it even with the nice weather we've been having-- warm days, but all this week nights are below freezing. I admit I am not just a little worried about my yet-to-be-shipped "purple" lilies, but I'm a risk taker. Or maybe that should be a sucker for a good deal, doubly so when there is free shipping!

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My Dutch Gardens "Purple Prince" lilies are due to be delivered tomorrow! I'll be able to get them in the ground this weekend.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County