Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forcing Parrot Tulips

Posted by dooyensan (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 1, 09 at 0:57

Hello. I'm super new to forcing bulbs to grow. I have never done it before so this is the first time I'm trying this method.

I have tried to look for big, firm tulip bulbs but I was a bit late and all the smaller ones are left. The ones that I got are firm but are a bit blemished and small. I was just wondering if anyone had successfully forced small bulbs to grow? Also, is it okay if I got a pot that only has one drainage holes in the bottom? Should I even bother forcing the small ones? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forcing Parrot Tulips

I think I would just plant the small Parrot tulip bulbs in the garden for this year. If you want to force some bulbs, the large crocus and small narcissus types are easier to start with than tulips. Hyacinths are relatively easy too. Get large, firm, healthy bulbs and look for cultivars that are marked "good for forcing". I just use green plastic pots with drainage holes in them. You can always put those plastic pots inside more decorative containers when you bring the pots from your cool basement (or unheated garage) into your living room. If you do a "google search" on forcing bulbs, you should find lots of info. on how deep to plant, number of weeks to "chill", etc.

o
RE: Forcing Parrot Tulips

Thank you for the tips! Yes, I've googled forcing bulbs and found lots of information. I will start with hyacinths and paperwhites first and work my way up to tulips next year.

However, I do have a question. I've found a spare mini fridge that I'm planning to keep my bulbs in but there's a small LED light that can't be shut off. I've tried to take it out but it can't be taken out. I've duct taped it but it only really darken the fridge maybe about 85% to 90%. Does it has to be completely 100% dark in the fridge or wherever area you are placing your bulbs in? Would it affect the chilling period at all? Thanks again and sorry of those are stupid questions!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here