Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting depth and mulch

Posted by minilaura 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 12, 09 at 1:04

I'm new to planting bulbs and I need help.

The instructions I have say to plant daffodil bulbs 6 inches deep. Does that mean 6 inches below the soil line or 6 inches below the top of the mulch? I have a 1-2 inch layer of mulch on the bed where I'm planning to plant the bulbs.

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting depth and mulch

Hi minilaura,

My name is Sue, and I am a daffodil addict.

Daffodils are my favorite flower and they are very forgiving, regardless of the depth they are planted.

I just checked some literature I received from the Daffodil Society and it says, "Generally three times the height of the bulb. Six to eight inches for larger ones, four to six inches for smaller types, and two to four inches for miniatures. Deeply planted bulbs will increase at a slower rate than those planted shallow."
The depth means to the bottom of the hole, and I would not include the mulch in the depth. I tend to plant on the shallow side, since I welcome them increasing, though that means them needing dug and divided a bit more often due to crowding. I plant small bulbs at 2", medium at 4" and large at 6".

I have also heard and read they should be planted at two times the height of the bulb, as well as 2 times the diameter of the bulbs. Either way, 2 to 3 times the height, or the width should be fine.

Below is a link to some Frequently Asked Questions at the American Daffodil Association. It does however not cover depth, but has some good info.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: ADS FAQ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here