Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sckubicka

New to bulbs- containers and in ground- any help is appreciated

sckubicka
10 years ago

Hello All,

I recently moved into a place that has a backyard and I'm so excited. I wanted to try my hand at bulbs, but now that I've bought them, I'm afraid I've bitten off more than I can chew.

I have questions about two different things. The first is in ground planting. The bulbs I bought say they should be fall planted (I'm guessing thats around now). My question, once I plant them, do I water them until the first frost, or should they not be watered at all? If they shouldn't be watered, can I wait until later in the year, closer to the first frost to plant? (I only ask because they are going to be planted in an area near ground cover that has just been planted by my housing association and they say I MUST water for a few weeks).

My second question is about planting bulbs in an outdoor container. I have more bulbs than space (too excited I suppose) and would like to try some in a container. My problem is I have no unheated garage that I can store them in over winter. I have a gas closet that may stay the right temperature, but they would get no sun (do they need sun in the winter?) So my main question is how much would mulching (chicken wire enclosure filled with mulch) insulate the containers? Enough to not kill the bulbs?

Finally, when the bulbs are planted in the containers, do they need to be watered at all throughout the winter?

I apologize for all the questions, I tried to search through previous posts but just found myself more confused.

Thank you!

Comments (3)