Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calik8

Freesia and Daf's How long can I wait

calik8
12 years ago

I am going to try bulbs for the first time. I bought them and put them in the fridge. How long can I wait to plant them?

Comments (7)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

I feel sure your ground is not frozen, so why don't you plant them now? You can keep them up to three months if necessary but you will be losing some of the bulbs energy. Al

• calik8
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I want to put them in this wine barrel by the front door, but my tomatoes are still growing in it. I thought they'd be done by now. It is in the 80's right now, so "frozen" is not in my vocabulary. And since this is L.A. freezing is once in a hundred years. I am also concerned that if I take them out of the fridge into the 85 degree weather, they'll think it is spring an then when/if we get a cold spell I'll have blown he whole thing.

• vetivert8
    12 years ago

Freesias don't go in the fridge. Well, not here they don't. No pre-chilling needed - just autumn rain.

If you bought those gorgeous long-stemmed brightly coloured ones definitely keep them warm, and watered over winter if your rainfall is erratic. Also - make sure you have some sort of discreet support for them to stop them flopping. Good sunlight very much appreciated. Protect them from heavy rains - the flowers tend to go mushy.

If you have pots that are four or more inches deep, plant into them using a soilless mix with added sand and grit. They prefer a lighter soil than daffodils. Get them going while you're waiting for the tomatoes to finish.

Unless you're using something like Tete a tete as your Narcissus you might find the daff leaves are overwhelming for the Freesias. A separate planting rather than mix the two together could give you a better display. Besides, Freesias tend to be more 'airy' in appearance than even dwarf Narcissus. Even florists' Anemones might not go too well - the colours are less subtle than the hybrid Freesias'.

Rhodohypoxis could be a useful partner, and Leucocoryne, if your Freesia tones are compatible.

If you bought F lactea for the scent - you could pair them with silvery Crassula or Echeveria for the leaves, or Kalanchoe pumila which is likely to be out at the same time - pink flowers and dusty silver-plum leaves.

• calik8
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I planted them about 3 weeks ago, and now they are sprouting. Do I worry?

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

No, you don't. Just make sure they don't dry out and look forward to the flowers.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

I can not think of a good reason for digging up my Freesia, so I never do. They are up now to about 3 inches. My one complaint is they tend to get too tall before blooming and are then difficult to support. At our old house by the coast we had some that grew and returned on their own that were a dirty white, never got over 10 inches tall and were very fragrant. They just were not attractive enough to encourage their use in prime locations. Al

• vetivert8
    12 years ago

Al: you could try the old 'invisible' support of fine black twine and a discreetly placed stick or two.

Those scented ones go well with Lachenalia tricolor and Muscari, BTW. Can look effective as a ribbon planting.

PS to calik8: they happily grow over the winter and well into the spring. I've still got buds emerging 'as we speak', and the weather is less than tropical, for true!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH