Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
domehomedee

Giant Squill

domehomedee
13 years ago

I found this bulb at an online nursery and ordered one. I just wanted to share how incredibly large this bulb is. It it literally 8 inches across. I planted it today, it reminds me of naked ladies in that it greens up in fall and then blooms in summer. Anyone had any experience with this bulb?

Comments (8)

• denninmi
    13 years ago

Well, I was just at the Willow Creek Gardens site, and they have them for $25. I would love to try one in a pot here in Michigan, but I have so many potted plants now that there literally is NO MORE ROOM in the greenhouse of in my plant room indoors, and I don't know how well it would do, anyway.

Looks like fun, though.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

No experience here with it, but would like to see it when it blooms. Doing a Google image search shows it to be either blue, lavender, or white. Do you know what color yours is?

Here is a link that might be useful: Giant Squill-Google images

• domehomedee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I read that they don't do well in pots. They have long roots and don't like to be watered much. They supposedly are deer and rodent proof as they use them in making rodent repellent.
    I think the one I ordered is white flowering. It was $25.00 too. I seems to have had two old bloom stalks so I will probably get more than one bloom.
    I'm just totally in awe of the size of the bulb.
    I grow naked ladies and amyrillis and I thought they were big!

• radarcontactlost
    13 years ago

If you like big bulbs pick yourself up a boophane or a brunsvigia. Both of which can be as big as a football! Both of them also are excellent pot growers.

• bluebonsai101
    13 years ago

I've had one of these for a few years now in a pot in Pittsburgh, PA......it does fine and grows all winter and blooms in the middle of summer.....in a pot!! The problem with a big Boophane is that you would have to really look hard to find one as big as a top notch Urginea.....maybe a big Boophane haemanthoides (my biggest one is bigger than my Urginea, but cost 8x as much). You can get a huge 8" diameter and 12" tall Brunsvigia josephinae for $100 here in the US......these are both winter growers like the Urginea.

I say have a stab at an Urginea.....fun to grow and the leaves alone are beautiful....the flower spike can be 7 feet tall, although the individual flowers are not nearly as impressive as either the Boophane or Brunsvigia :o) Dan

• radarcontactlost
    13 years ago

Dan,

I think you must have one of everything I have ever wanted to grow! Both of my boophanes are looking great right now. I only have distcha, but one regular and a port elizabeth. I would love to find a big brunsvigia josephinae someday, that or grandiflora. I love big bulbs.

• bluebonsai101
    13 years ago

I love 'Port Elizabeth'......maybe my favorite...a small bulb at maturity, but the wavy leaves are just fantastic!!

Send me an e-mail (plantguy@zoominternet.net) and I will tell you where I got my latest monster B. josephinae. I got one 3 years ago from Guy Wrinkle, but this latest one from a guy in CA is much larger and cost half the price.....since mine is just starting to produce leaves now the ones in CA may be far enough behind that you could still get one....if they are leafed out there since they were not disturbed like mine I would wait until next summer, but this bulb is sooooo massive I just wish I had room for a few more :o) Dan

• cjjulian
    13 years ago

I purchased one (Urgunea Maritima) this past year and it was fun to hold and see! So far it is growing these gorgeous dark green leaves (kinda looks like a bromeliad at the moment)

Im excited for later this summer to see it bloom! =)