Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pre-growing bulbs in the garage in potting mix?

Posted by paulsiu 5a (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 23, 11 at 2:29

Though it's still not too late to plant some hyacinth bulbs. I am unable to get the area to be planted prepped in time. My current plan is to start the bulb in a pot in an unheated garage and then plant them later in spring.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find too much information on how to do this. The information I find are for forcing, which seems to be get the bulb to bloom in the winter. I am not interested in that. I just want the plant to grow some roots an plant then later with root and all.

Can I use a potting mix, the sort that's soil-less. I recall potting soil don't drain well enough to be use, but potting mix is OK.

Is the garage sufficient? The store said it should work but we need to make sure that the garage's temp don't fall to below -20. I guess I could relocate them to be near the house so it won't be as cold.

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pre-growing bulbs in the garage in potting mix?

I don't see how a low temperature in the garage would be a problem as long as the pots don't freeze solid for ages. After all they'd be exposed to even lower temps out in the garden. Also I don't think the kind of mix matters much. They just need something to start rooting into. All the food for next spring's flowers is already in the bulbs. They will be out in the garden by the time the leaves start building next year's flowers. The drainage is not that crucial as you will not be watering them much - just keeping them slightly moist. If you use bulb baskets rather than pots you don't even need to take the plants out to plant them in the garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here