Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squirrel will dig up bulb even if it's not edible

Posted by paulsiu 5a (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 30, 11 at 2:32

After the squirrels made short works of my bulbs, I decided to plant some bulbs that they can't eat like daffodils. Much to my annoyance, I still found them dug up, except that they are not eaten. I put them back but put a brick over them. Let's home they don't try again!

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squirrel will dig up bulb even if it's not edible

I would end up forgetting to move the bricks come springtime! Good luck, they can be real persistent. We have hawks.... it seems to help

o

I would hose down the area till it's really muddy - I can't imagine squirrels would like that, and once the soil settles back down and dries the squirrels won't be able to tell where the bulbs are.

o

I bought some lily bulbs for my White Garden. Lilium 'Siberia' is a beautiful cultivar and they weren't cheap to buy. So I sprayed them with an animal repellent called Bobex and then planted them. The Bobex did stop the bulbs from being eaten, but it didn't stop the squirrels from digging them up. I found 4 of them dug up and tossed around the yard (I stepped on one). I replanted them and they have stayed in the ground this time. Although I'm worried that the damage the little grey beasts did may preclude their blooming this year.

Steve

o

Hey everyone, I have to use red pepper flakes to keep them from digging them up. After the dirt is replaced I sprinkle the whole top of the ground with red pepper flakes and has worked very good. Good luck, Judy

o

I find chicken wire on the ground surface helps. (Chew through that you suckers!) Maybe I plant bulbs too deep, but squirrels seem to give up after about 4 inches around here.

o

bricks work fine. they can be removed once the ground is frozen. I also put down pieces of wood for larger beds, weighted down with rocks/bricks until ground freezes. also use plastic milk crates, placed over an area (upside down) weighted with rocks. if only i had a good spring-time solution to the critters eating the tulip buds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here