Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Narcissus bulbocodium (hoop petticoat daffodils) - fall foliage?

Posted by pizzuti 5A (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 28, 11 at 4:01

I just got some Narcissus bulbocodium for the first time, and it is yet to be planted. I noticed the bulbs are already sending out the very tips of some leaves while dry in the package.

I am reading online that in zones with very mild winters, they produce fall foliage starting in September or October the same way grape hyacinths do, and it persists through winter. But in colder climates, the first foliage will emerge in February.

My question is, how can the bulbs possibly "know" what winter climate they're in when it's still fall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Narcissus bulbocodium (hoop petticoat daffodils) - fall folia

I have grown hoop petticoats for many years. Yes, they certainly are some of the earliest to emerge, though there are several others in my yard that come up this early too. It seems to me that, in general, the earlier a daffodil blooms in the season, the earlier its foliage emerges in the fall or winter.

How do they know? Well, I believe in God, and believe that He gave them that ability. To my knowledge, science has not explained the mechanics of it, but most likely will eventually. Maybe someone else here knows?

How they know, though, is less important to me than THAT they know. I rejoice at the bits of green that come up all around and promise that my least favorite season of the year will soon be over....

I, too, would suggest you plant those babies pretty soon in your zone....

o
RE: Narcissus bulbocodium (hoop petticoat daffodils) - fall folia

Yes - don't worry, just get them planted. My February Gold are already showing above the soil. It's not unusual with many varieties. They will come to no harm.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here