Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragoonsers

Best places for buying bulbs?

dragoonsers
10 years ago

Hey guys. I'm looking forward to buying spring flowered bulbs. What's the best place to buy them? Local hardware stores? HD? Lowes? Or any good mail order supplier? I'm in Nashville.

Comments (11)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Too late for mail order - that's a summer activity, as any bulbs should already have been shipped to be planted NOW. Most nurseries and garden centers have a full compliment of spring flowering bulbs available for planting now. As do hardware and home improvement stores, Costco, even some grocery or drug stores.

• socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    10 years ago

I like the following. They're sold out of some varieties but still have plenty left. Smaller amounts can be purchased at www.johnscheepers.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Van Engelen - large quantities

• booberry85
    10 years ago

Also check Brent & Becky's Bulbs and John Scheepers Bulbs. I know people in my neck of the woods are still planting bulbs. Its a little late if you are in zone 5 (NE US), but the fall has been rather mild. I bet you could place an order and get them in the ground before the BIG frosts come.

• dragoonsers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm in Nashville. I still have time !!

Thanks!

• michey1st_gw
    10 years ago

I placed my first John Scheepers order in early September, and they advised me they would not be shipping to my area until the end of October, so there's probably still time for you as well!

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

I found surprisingly good sized bulbs at Costco yesterday.
    Many big box stores seems to have smaller bulbs though.

I have ordered clearance bulbs from Brent and Becky's and Van Engelen Into late November and still had successful spring flowering. Getting them in before the ground freezes was my main problem in zone 5.

• Matt
    10 years ago

Socal gal is definitely right. Van engelen and also Colorblends are by far the best deal on big healthy bulbs out there.

It is definitely not too late to order if you do so soon, they take less than a week to ship.

Since you're in TN look for the latest blooming varieties so you'll have flowers in April and not just early March.

(I'd search by bloom time)

Here is a link that might be useful: Colorblends search by bloom times

• lvmygrdn1
    10 years ago

I think since you still have time and may get some good deals online. I just got an email that my bulbs have shipped from Colorblends. I'm in Maryland. And like others said, you can still get them locally. Good luck to you! I love when the bulbs poke through the earth in the spring. It just makes everything else going on in my life okay. :-)

• stimpy926
    10 years ago

Tulips can be planted very late, before the ground freezes.
    Since narcissus and other varieties put out their roots in early fall, it's late to be planting them. However, it still can be done, they'll just be late in blooming next spring.

• amhkgn
    10 years ago

Netherland Bulb Company is also an excellent source for bulbs, and a little cheaper than B&B, Colorblends, and Van Engelen, all are sources I order from.

Van Engelen has an excellent sale later in the fall, so if you can wait you can get some deals. If there is a specific variety that you want, you may want to order it now. Some of the websites are already selling out on some bulbs.

I have planted bulbs as late as in December and January, and they've bloomed. Best of luck with your choices, you're going to have a beautiful spring.

• edlincoln
    10 years ago

What sort of bulbs do you want?

I find BJs and Ocean State Job Lot are good sources for cheap late season bulbs on sale.

I find Bluff View Nursery is a good source for unusual native bulbs cheap.

I tend to go for cheap bulbs and plant a bunch of them. If you want large reliable bulbs other sources might be better.