Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

FAQ-Bulb Forum Outline 10-14-2010

I put together an outline for the Bulb Forum FAQ...please see link below and make suggestions, comments. It is just a starting point for organizing things and the order of the FAQ...then we can work on and fine tune the answers. Please let me know what you think.

I thought it best for the most often asked about bulbs to be named individually with general info on them. What others are frequently asked about that I didn't include?

Thanks!

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ-Bulb Forum Outline 10-14-2010

Comments (12)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Sue, it looks really good.
    Nicely organized, easy to find the info you need.
    Since I don't visit this forum often, I can't help you out on other FAQs, but what you have done is impressive.
    Renee

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Renee.

Hopefully others will take a look and have some input.

Sue

Original Author
    13 years ago

Bumping this up for some input for other bulbs to possibly be included or at least mentioned and maybe referred to another more specific forum.

The forum is sure hopping about the sales, and fall bulb planting, and critters and critterproofing.

Once all the bulbs are planted and things outside put to sleep, I intend to be looking for a lot of input, so please be sure and check in throughout the winter.

tia

Sue

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    13 years ago

Hi Sue, does this forum include cyclamen or is there another forum where I can post a question? The question is about how to "over-summer" in a hot climate & I'd like to wait until everyone's got their sale plants in the ground & things are quieter. I've also got crinum so thanks for the note about crinum being included in the amaryllis forum.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    13 years ago

This looks very thorough, Sue. Glad to see the section on critters!

• linaria_gw
    13 years ago

Hello Su, that looks like a good structure.
    I have perhaps 2 small points to add
    If ornamental Allium is refered to the Allium-forum then their introduction needs to be changed. At least the last time I looked the forum was described to be for growing onions and garlic.

The ornamental Alliums probably could be sortetd to the other forum. On the other hand being used as ornamentals there is a certain logic to keep them in the Bulb forum.

And with the tulips I think it is important to have one (sub?)section for garden hybrids and another section for botanical tulips.

Well, just a thought, thanks, Lin

Original Author
    13 years ago

does this forum include cyclamen or is there another forum where I can post a question?
    I think here is as fine as anyplace to cover them in the FAQ. or to ask about them. For the time being I just noted/added cyclamen at the bottom of the outline.

I've also got crinum so thanks for the note about crinum being included in the amaryllis forum.
    Before doing a search on Crinum, all I knew was that they were not hardy here. That was when I saw they were of the Amaryllidaceae family, thus thought The Amaryllis Forum would be better off handling the FAQ (if anyone volunteers and they agree to it), and to field questions there. As usual though, anyone can ask about anything they want at any forum...within reason of course...like not at Home Decorating or something...lol.

Glad to see the section on critters!
    I figure you can provide a lot of good input on that, especially if 'your' Sun Disc daffodils come up and bloom in some strange places next spring.

If ornamental Allium is refered to the Allium-forum then their introduction needs to be changed. At least the last time I looked the forum was described to be for growing onions and garlic.
    Their forum blurb reads:
    This forum is for the discussion of plants of the genus Allium, such as onions, garlic, leeks, shallots & scallions.
    I agree, that it would best be changed to include Ornamental Allium/Flowering Onions.
    I don't think that any bulb must be asked about on any one 'specific' forum as there are sometimes numerous forums where one can find the answers....for example, if lily questions don't get needed replies at The Lily Forum, it is fine to ask here. Canna are sometimes asked about here, though there is a Canna Forum, so members here can provide info but also suggest that more info can be found at The Canna Forum. In doing a search here on Canna I see there are 122 threads, so will touch on them as well in the FAQ, with reference then to the Canna Forum and the great Canna FAQ there.

And with the tulips I think it is important to have one (sub?)section for garden hybrids and another section for botanical tulips.
    I agree and tulips will be rather extensive, sort of like the daffodils, since they are asked about so much. Then there are the tulips that are more like perennials than annuals.

This FAQ is turning out to be quite a beast, but 'should' end up pretty good with everyone's input.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, we have Christmas behind us, and I doubt if anyone is still planting bulbs, so I thought I'd bump this up for some more input.

I've added several more bulb types to be covered...some are listed at the bottom and need inserted into the outline. I scanned the subject line of several pages, to see what else is asked about and then did a search to see how many threads there were for a particular bulb.

Put your thinking caps on everyone and let me know what else might need to be added.

We'll soon be starting to try and put a couple of the FAQ together, so will be posting for info. Be awatchin'!

Sue

I know there is some bad spelling on the outline, but will not worry about that right now. Google doc did not want to cooperate with me when I tried to correct some things.

• vetivert8
    13 years ago

Hi Sue

Sheer envy from here for your lull! I have lotsa pots of bulbs to go through and size, etc before the planting season starts in earnest. The in-ground Narcissus are already sprouting roots. Worse than little kids on Christmas morning!

However.
    Crocus. Some mention of autumn crocuses, perhaps?

I'd also mention the callas/Zantedeschias. If I'm looking for Aroids I'm after Alocasia and friends.

And - some mention of soils/amendments plus clump management for naturalised groupings. And the desperate planters' strategies - such as planting on top and covering with compost.

Also bulb rescue and signs of disease vs distress.

Winterising methods. Yes. They could be on the Container forum but twice is better than not at all. :-)))

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi vetivert,

Sheer envy from here for your lull!
    What lull? I have so many winter projects here inside that I doubt if they will all get done. Cleaning the basement has been on my winter chore list for years. Maybe 2011 will be the year to get it done. Spring thaw will arrive here in Indiana in mid to late Feb, so then I'll be outside every waking moment (or should be anyway) digging out the Star of Bethlehem as they start to emerge. Hmmm...just remembered Star of Beth is not in the Bulb Outline. YIKES...I'd start twitchin for sure if I put together an FAQ for them...but guess they should be considered....sigh.

Crocus. Some mention of autumn crocuses, perhaps?
    Ok, have that set up to be covered under #8 (at this time (Crocus)

I'd also mention the callas/Zantedeschias.
    See #5

Winterising methods.
    See #24 (?)

For now I've added the other ideas at the bottom of the outline to be inserted or incorporated later. Thanks for your wonderful input.

Anyone else? I'm off to do some serious cleaning before company arrives this afternoon. YIKES!

Sue

Original Author
    13 years ago

Bumping up for possibly more input. Where did the winter go? I had hoped to get some questions posted and get answers while a lot of us were watching the snow fly.

Sue

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Hi Sue,

I am a pretty infrequent visitor to the bulbs forum but always find things of interest when I do come. I looked over your outline and it looks pretty thorough and organized. Looks like a lot of work and I appreciate the time you are giving to do it.

Apparently my experience with bulbs is pretty minimal. Daffodils and crocus are what I seem to gravitate toward the most. Selection of varieties is not a problem for crocus, there don't seem to be the million different choices like there are for Daffodils and Tulips.

I was not able to access the link to the Daffodil outline, so I don't know what you plan to cover. The information that I am usually looking for, is which variety to choose. There are so many out there and new hybrids being offered all the time and so often you only have the catalog description to decide. I have found that the catalog description doesn't always focus on performance in the garden. For instance, some of the doubles or large trumpets have disappointed, when they fall over from the weight of the bloom and they spend the spring in the mud.. Or daffodils that don't increase are another disappointment. So a list of 'best performers' among the daffodil information would be greatly appreciated. Bulbs are becoming more expensive every year, so you would like to invest your money wisely. I imagine there is a thread already on that subject on the forum, which I am going to go look for. I am already thinking of adding more daffodils in the fall.

I've been wanting to increase galanthus and chionodoxa in my garden too. The chionodoxa seem to be easy and simple and straight forward. The galanthus on the other hand, are not easy so far. First there is that time difference in when you need to order them and plant them vs other spring bulbs, then they are very slow to expand, here in my clay soil garden. I also made the mistake of adding compost around the base of my tree last fall and I forgot the galanthus was there and I seem to have smothered a few.

So that is about the extent of my input. (g) Sorry it is so limited.

BTW, my two best daffodil performers are 'Ice Follies' and 'Ceylon'. Come back faithfully, increase generously, stand up to wind and rain. Bloom together.

Thanks Sue!