Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To those who have planted Globemaster Allium...

Posted by joannemb 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 2, 09 at 7:45

I just received my box of 30 bulbs yesterday, and will be planting this weekend. So excited, but since I've invested quite a bit of $ (although, colorblends had them for $4.00 a bulb--not bad) I don't want to mess it up!

I've researched how to plant, but get different answers from different sources, so I'd love some 'real life' experience....

1.) How deep should I plant them?
2.) How far apart should I plant them? (Really, what is the CLOSEST I can go?)
3.) Should I use bulb fertilizer when I plant them now, or wait until they sprout in the Spring?
4.) I am in zone 5---is it alright to plant them this weekend, or is that too early?

Thanks so much,
Joanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
One more question...

I know that the foliage will start to brown at the tips of the leaves during bloom time. I will be planting them among some smaller hostas, but is it alright to trim the leaves just a bit (like at the tips that start to brown?) I wouldn't cut them off completely.... just trim off the tips. Have any of you done this?

o
RE: To those who have planted Globemaster Allium...

I plant mine about twice the depth of the bulb, or 8" deep, i.e. the base (or bottom) of the bulb sits 8" from the top of the soil. You can plant the bulbs 6-12" apart. The leaves are both wide and long, so take up quite a bit of room. I do not recommend trimming or cutting the leaves in any way. As with most bulbs, it is the nourishment from the leaves that goes back to feed the bulbs and keep them healthy. Plant them now in your zone. The soil does NOT have to be cool/cold to plant alliums. I do not use bulb fertilizer myself, but if you want to use it, then follow the recommendations on the container. Water well after planting and mulch lightly with compost, old leaves, etc. Plant Globemaster behind other mid-size plants such as daylilies. That way you won't notice the browning leaves so much. Good luck! I really look forward to my Globemasters flowering every year, late June to early July in my garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Globemaster care guide

o
RE: To those who have planted Globemaster Allium...

Thank you! That was very helpful. I'm pretty excited about them and will be astonished if I can actually grow something so beautiful. :) (newbie gardener)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here