Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

About the FAQ editor request...hmmmm

Has anyone responded by writing to GW to volunteer yet?

If so, or if not, I've got some ideas for making them better, and am considering volunteering. While I am a bit more familiar with the hardy spring blooming bulbs, I lack being knowledgeable about bulbs being grown in warmer climates or those that are grown in pots.

I 'do' think that often questions are asked here that would be maybe better addressed on other more specialized forums (or maybe in their FAQ), ie Canna, Dahlia, Iris (bearded), Amaryllis, Lily, Daylily, etc. That could even be covered in an FAQ maybe, like, "How do I grow Amaryllis, Canna, Dahlia, Daylily, Iris (bearded)?"

Reply, "Please see the specific forums for these plants/bulbs" The link to all of the GW Forums can be found in the Green Banner at the top of any GW page."

I've volunteered to re-do/update the FAQ at the Seed Exchange, but would be glad to be a part of redoing The Bulb Forum FAQ. I see a lot of it as sort of useless, with the answers often not reflecting the garden zone of the member or the time of the year the replies are made.

I figure one section could be devoted to daffodils- planting, when to plant, problems/non-blooming, cultivars, sources, forcing, early emergence, what to do with forced bulbs, what to do with spring blooming bulbs that didn't get planted, etc.

Another section could cover tulips with about the same questions.

Another section covering Hyacinths with about the same questions.

Tender bulbs-etc, digging and storing, etc.

Bulbs for the Southern Garden? Growing, cultivars? tips, care...

Bulbs and critters? How to protect bulbs from critters?

I'll be quite busy until later when all my daffs are planted but will then have much more spare time to contribute....maybe a good winter project?

Suggestions? Input? Volunteers? Have I maybe had too much coffee already?

{{gwi:27158}}

Sue

Comments (7)

• duluthinbloomz4
    13 years ago

This request is cropping up on quite a few of the forums. With few exceptions the FAQ's seem to be an exercise in futility.... for the basic reason that many posters feel their situation is somehow unique and isn't addressed (or they don't recognize the information when it actually is addressed).

And people are so generous with their knowledge, it seems kind of unfriendly to respond to someone with nothing beyond "read the FAQ".

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    13 years ago

With few exceptions the FAQ's seem to be an exercise in futility
    I agree, but in the cases where there are good FAQ, they are quite helpful. Often just the basic planting and care info would be helpful....soil, sun, drainage, fertilizing, planting depth, etc...like peonies for example....at The Peony Forum or Dahlia Forums.

And people are so generous with their knowledge, it seems kind of unfriendly to respond to someone with nothing beyond "read the FAQ".

I agree that sounds a bit unfriendly, but one could maybe quote from the FAQ for a member with a question and then refer to the FAQ for additional info.

For example, often I quote info from The American Daffodil Soc about why daffs might not bloom. I quote the most frequent reasons, and then link to the list of all reasons. If the reasons were included in an FAQ here, they would be easier found and linked to.

jmho.

Sue

anyone else?

Forcing bulbs for early bloom...

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Sue, I would really appreciate it if you updated the FAQ. That's a real public service. Although some people don't read the FAQs for any number of reasons, many of us do. I think your ideas for reorganizing them are excellent.

You could also link over in the FAQs to the FAQs for each area- there's a FAQ in the California Forum about which bulbs grow in California, for instance.

You have what it takes to do a thorough rewrite of the FAQs- intellect and research skills. Go for it!
    Renee

Original Author
    13 years ago

Sue, I would really appreciate it if you updated the FAQ.
    Ok, you twisted my arm....and thank you.

You could also link over in the FAQs to the FAQs for each area-
    I 'do' know that links are not permitted in the FAQ, because links, over time often go dead for one reason or another. Possibly some of the info could be used from the FAQ there, with permission, and credit be given for the info.

Ok, in looking through the back pages, what other bulbs do you find a lot of questions about besides

Daffodils, (and also Paperwhites)-Sources for Daffodils,727 Matches via search
    Tulips, 794 matches
    Hyacinths, 376 matches
    Spring Blooming Bulbs1081 matches via search
    Caladiums?,86 matches
    Gladiola?44 matches
    Crinum?90 matches

Like I said above, those bulbs that have more specific forums (lilies, daylilies, allium, etc) could/should best be addressed in the FAQ at those forums, though answers could be supplied here or members could refer them to either the forum, or the FAQ at the different forums, providing they get some good FAQ set up too.

What else might we consider adding that is frequently asked about?

Original Author
    13 years ago

There are a lot of posts about Allium 166 matches) so maybe a general planting/growing FAQ would be in order here, with an additional suggestion to check out The Allium Forum and/or Allium FAQ.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Yes, and I think a section on which bulbs will grow in each region of the country or zone would be just wonderful. You could also put when to plant what in that section.

How to force bulbs is a common question. What to do with the foliage after bloom is another.

I like your idea of a critter section- what bulbs are deer/squirrels/pocket gophers less likely to eat.

It seems to me that there should be a bulb list with season to plant, bloom season, and perhaps planting depth? with zones or something.

I'm just throwing out ideas willy-nilly here.
    Renee

Original Author
    13 years ago

How to force bulbs is a common question.
    good idea...what bulbs should it maybe address...
    daffidils...both those requiring chill and also the paperwhites
    tulips
    hyacinths
    crocus
    muscari (grape hyacinths)
    What else is commonly forced and asked about?

It seems to me that there should be a bulb list with season to plant, bloom season, and perhaps planting depth? with zones or something.
    I think zones would be best and some of then would be approximate, since the net gives various hardiness zones for some bulbs or different cultivars.

Do you think it should be just one list with all bulbs, or a list for each zone?

I'll be starting some threads and putting FAQ in the subject line, to start to compile some info.

I like the way the existing FAQ are set up, with a main link for example for Daffs and then it goes to all the daff questions. I thought it would be nice to try and organize the info similar to the existing format. I found out the format is called HTML anchor codes....something totally new to me.

I think this could almost get overwhelming, but try to keep in mind that they can continually be updated, or corrected as need be. Maybe an 'outline' would be in order after some more input/suggestions here, think?...Maybe a Google document that could be shared with all here.

Sue

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES