Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

FAQ-1-What is my Garden or Hardiness Zone and why is it important

This may be the first question in the FAQ. I'm looking for replies that can either be used as is, or that can be crafted into an answer for the FAQ.

tia for your input.

FAQ Bulb Forum Outline for input also.

Sue

Comments (9)

• vetivert8
    13 years ago

I'm not sure my postal code would make it through to get a reply!

I've seen maps for Aus-NZ which give our ratings, and I know there are similar for UK-EU. Possibly also for Africa - with all the keen gardeners in SA and on into Zimbabwe. Not sure how much of Asia is covered, or South America.

And a reference that takes account of altitude could be useful to those hardy gardeners in Colorado, Utah, and California perching high in the hills!

Thanks so much for taking this on, Sue.

(PS you might like to make #2 the one that covers 'I left my bulbs in a baggie and forgot to plant them. Now what?' ;-))) )

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Good work!

The zone FAq IS US orientated but then so is the forum so that's fair enough. My zone is z9 in theory (based on winter minima ie no lower than 20-25f), but z1 based on summer maxima (ie we have on average 1 day per year over 86f - yes, just 1!)

One little nit-pick. 6. 'Gladiola'..... Gladiolus (singular) Gladioli (plural)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm not sure my postal code would make it through to get a reply!
    I imagine if you did get a zone to come up, that it would be wrong.

The zone FAQ IS US orientated but then so is the forum so that's fair enough
    I was wondering about our bulb loving members across the big pond and wondering how it should be handled.

Flora, you chose then to list your zone as a USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) zone? I've always been curious about your zone8/9.

vetivert,
    Have you also chosen to list your zone as a USDA zone? I've wondered about yours too, and deduced you are in a 'quite' warm zone, compared to mine.

If either of you have a link to a zone map for your areas, I 'think' I can include it in the FAQ too...will have to have it verified before input. I was told that linking to informational sites was allowed.

I 'think' it would be all right to link to USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map

What do you think about linking to similar sites for finding one's zone in NI, NZ, or UK? Needed? Would it be used? Do you know of similar sites? Want them included if it is all right?

And a reference that takes account of altitude could be useful to those hardy gardeners in Colorado, Utah, and California perching high in the hills!
    Is that what one would refer to as micro-climates? Maybe touch on them a bit too, explaining that the zones are 'approximate' and could vary some depending upon one's location within the zone.

One little nit-pick. 6. 'Gladiola'..... Gladiolus (singular) Gladioli (plural)
    Not nit-picking at all. I would like things to be as correct as possible, which includes terms, spelling, grammar and punctuation.

So who wants to pull together the reply as it could be posted? I have read and read about the USDA zones and find myself then using 'their words' and sure don't want to get into any plagiarizing problems on down the line.

btw...all members who contribute to the input will be mentioned and given credit, so I guess we can used each others input without it being an actual quote, right?

Am I stressing and over thinking all this? This is just the first FAQ...sigh.

(PS you might like to make #2 the one that covers 'I left my bulbs in a baggie and forgot to plant them. Now what?' ;-))) )
    being a 'seasonal' question, I inserted it after #5. It will appear before folks start posting Help! My daffodils are emerging too early!

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

I really ought to be outside but I seem to be having trouble with motivation today so I'm back on GW. I put my zone on a long time ago when I first joined and it was one I found on a map in the back of an old gardening book. The concept of Zones is not actually used by UK gardeners. UK gardening books don't mention them at all. I had never heard of them until I went on GW but I put one on to give people an idea, albeit rather a misleading one. Because we are a small place the variations within the islands, although important to us, are nothing like what you have in the States. Wikipedia has an article on hardiness zones which covers the UK.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardiness zones

• vetivert8
    13 years ago

I went by the degrees of frost: -7C is rare (and so it should be!) so I rated my garden as a 9a because my frosts are mostly between -1C and -5C.

My valley is about a hundred feet higher than the main one I live near and I know frosts in this rural area are harder than in the more urban area - just from things I have to cosset which don't need it in the lower/warmer area. (Gerberas would be one.)

I'm like flora with regard to summer temps. Anything over 30C is very unusual for my area, although down south and inland it can be common. (Alexandra gets cold winter and hot summer almost like continental.) NZ is in the Roaring Forties and that keeps us fairly equable, with lots of microclimates because of our hilly terrain. Everywhere is close to the sea in an east-west direction.

I first came across the hardiness ratings in an old Readers Digest gardening book for Australia-NZ many moons ago.

So zone is important. Agreed. (Something about the nature of that zone rating, though. I remember being flamed by an irate someone because I foolishly suggested Fuchsias for a 9b in California. 'A certain lack of humidity' . And, in inland areas, the abrupt finishing of spring with bursts of heat that bring a sharp end to bulb displays.)

I've seen US maps showing summer highs and winter lows. I regard them as useful. I also like the charts that show average monthly temperatures and rainfall (or precipitation of other kinds.) If I had just moved to a new location - say from here to Nelson - then that info would help me as a newbie in Nelson. I wouldn't have to live there for five years to get a 'feel' for the weather and what's 'normal'.

Zone, plus temperature range, plus first/last frost day, plus precipitation pattern, plus soil type. Basic info tools - especially for people who have moved to a new location or into a first garden.

Original Author
    13 years ago

So zone is important. Agreed. (Something about the nature of that zone rating, though.
    Ahh...like maybe what The Sunset climate zones take into consideration?

Does Sunset climate zones really come into play much when one is growing bulbs? I know in my zone, all that really matters is how hardy, or tender the bulb is.

I think it comes into play more like in CA, though I don't know if it matters for those growing bulbs there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunset climate zones

Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, I have the first draft for the first question and don't care much for the wording.

Please read it and critique it with wording you think might be better. I don't want to go into too much depth with things on #1 because specifics will be covered under the other FAQ for the most asked about bulbs.

Help! please.

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ Outline...see #1

• socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    13 years ago

Perhaps you should add that some climates are too warm for bulbs but that bulbs requiring a cold winter can be grown there if chilled in the refrigerator.
    Ruth

Original Author
    13 years ago

Perhaps you should add that some climates are too warm for bulbs but that bulbs requiring a cold winter can be grown there if chilled in the refrigerator.

Hi Ruth, that is so funny. I had it worded differently and it was longer, and I got some input other than right here, and then I abbreviated the reply.

How about this?

What is my Garden or Hardiness Zone and why is it important?

Here is the USDA Hardiness Zone Map. When thinking about or shopping for bulbs for your containers or gardens, you will want to check the growing information for the bulbs to see if they are suitable for your zone. Some bulbs are more tender and cannot survive the winter in colder zones. These tender bulbs can, however, be grown in colder climates, but must be brought in and overwintered in frost free storage.

On the other hand, some bulbs suitable for colder climates, can be grown in warmer climates, but the bulbs must be chilled to simulate cold winter temps. Some examples of bulbs needing chilled in the warmest zones are Tulips, Hyacinths, and some varieties of Daffodils.