Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Okay, here's a 'weird' question....

Posted by carrie630 z7bNC (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 25, 09 at 8:47

I have lots of bulbs planted on my land - daffs, crocuses, etc... but this year, I am changing a few borders and don't know exactly where I want to put new bulbs.

So... I was thinking - Could I plant bulbs in a holding bed and as they emerge in spring - carefully dig them out and place them where I want?

I have moved bulbs before - but not sure if some move better than others (I've moved daffs, crocuses)

Thanks

Carrie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Okay, here's a 'weird' question....

You could do so but it may be easier and less taxing on the bulbs as they begin to emerge to pot them up and sink the pots in the holding bed for winter storage. You do run the risk of unnecessarily disturbing the bulbs during the transplanting process and that can cause them to sulk and abort bloom. This is far less of a risk when the bulbs have been potted and the entire rootball can be transferred easily. Many growers now offer bulbs for sale in this manner each spring......for those who neglected to plant in fall or for those who desire instant gratification :-)

o

gardengal - I'm confused: Maybe I didn't word this right - Okay, here goes again:

I buy the bulbs in November, and I plant the bulbs in the holding bed... then when Feb/March comes, they emerge and I move them to where I want them permanently. Is that much clearer? Thanks

PS - your answer may be the same, but it confused me when you said: "as they begin to emerge to pot them up and sink the pots in the holding bed for winter storage."

o

Sorry, I understood your question perfectly but didn't answer equally as clearly. What I meant was to pot them up now as bulbs and sink the pots into the storage bed. This method tends to be less taxing on the plants than attempting to move them intact and without damage in spring, when they begin to emerge.

Hope that's less confusing :-)

o

Thanks so much - I kind of thought that's what you meant, but glad you repeated the directions. Sounds like a terrific idea - may try that - thanks so much :0)

Carrie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here