Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where is the Front? (Gladiolus)

Posted by tkhooper 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 21, 10 at 8:55

I have finally learned where the bottom and where the top of a bulb is. Now I guess, I need to know where the front of the bulb is. All of my gladiolus turned their faces to the white exterior of my house rather than facing the sun where I could really appreciate them. Is the reflected light from the white siding confusing them or is there a "front" to a glad bulb? They are planted about 6 inches from the siding of the house.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where is the Front? (Gladiolus)

Unfortunately, there is no "side" to a glad corm - just a top and a bottom. Normally they'll bloom facing the sun, but there's probably enough reflected light from being 6" away from your white siding to have them bloom in that direction.

o

Bummer. My roses bloom toward the shrubs "behind" them rather than toward me. And my climbing fortuniana blooms for the neighbor's motor home.
Renee

o

It sounds like I'll have to move them. Now the question is where.

o

If they (the glads) are all lined up in a row, they aren't going to look great no matter in which direction they bloom.

Your best option would be in an area in full sun (sun up to sun down full). Plant deeper and closer together than is usually recommended on the boxes, etc. Plant them in clusters. Chances are then that many of them will probably bloom facing East, but you should get a mix of all directions.

Like I've said before, glads are gorgeous. But they're at their best in a vase where you can pull off the spent florets and cut down the stems to keep the bouquet looking fresh. Out in the yard, they don't look so hot once the spent florets start climbing up the stalk.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here