Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Irises

Posted by tkhooper 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 25, 10 at 9:05

I'm in a warmer climate and as I learned last year my irises start growing new leaves before the old leaves die away completely. So when can I transplant them? They are extremely hardy in my garden. They seem able to take almost any abuse a new gardener can do to them. But I really want to do the right thing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Irises

The ideal time to divide them is in August. By dividing then, you will greatly increase your chances of bloom the following year. However, you can divide them now too. If you have large healthy roots and you put them in good fertile well-drained soil, you still might get some bloom next year.

As you have found, they are pretty forgiving. If you're not worried about getting blooms the first year after division, you can divide and replant them virtually anytime of the year except, perhaps, December-February.

o
RE: Transplanting Irises

Thank you donnabaskets. I appreciate you responding to my question. I'll transplant now and hope for the best for my friends that are taking all of the extra plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here