Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What went wrong with my garlic?

Posted by staceypea 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 19, 10 at 9:19

Hello wise ones!

I planted garlic last autumn for the first time-- long-neck elephant stuff that was supposedly primo for my region (COLD!). It came up perfectly, but seemed to have dried out too soon. I got nervous and pulled up a bulb when the stalk was 80% dry to find a perfectly grown bulb with only 3 (fully sized) cloves. I let the rest of it go as long as I could-- about half of it dried up and died, so I salvaged the rest, and again, only about 3-4 cloves per bulb.

I mulched it over well before the frost last winter, kept it watered, but not too much. It had plenty of sun. Ring a bell to anybody?? I'd love to have some idea before I put this year's down.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What went wrong with my garlic?

Do you know what variety it was that you grew?

I found this info at the link below:

The hardneck varieties do well in the cooler Canadian climates. Hardneck refers to the scape, or flower stalk, with its topset of bulbils. Hardnecks take a little more care to grow because they need to be hand planted right side up, and to have their scapes snipped off. They repay that effort with a wealth of large bulbs and a dazzling choice of robust and subtle, intriguing and delicious flavours.

If you don't get an answer here, you might also try asking at The Allium Forum

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic varieties

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here