Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulk Tulips

Posted by ladylotus Z3/4 ND (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 15, 11 at 9:42

I would like to purchase about 5000 tulips but I don't want to spend a fortune. Do any of you know where I can buy bulk tulips at reasonable prices?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulk Tulips

• Posted by socalgal USDA z10 Sunset z24 (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 15, 11 at 19:14

At the beginning of November Van Engelen has a sale, I think bulbs are half price then. (A potential problem is that they might have already sold out of the ones you want).

Ruth

Here is a link that might be useful: Van Engelen

o

Even getting tulips at 'reasonable' prices is going to be a fairly expensive endeavor.

Is this for some sort of a special function next spring? Are you wanting and needing the tulips to return and bloom in later years? If it is a one time shot then about any inexpensive tulips should be fine, as any and all of them should give a good display the first season, providing the bulbs are big and mature enough. Most tulips or tulip mixes are more like annuals than they are perennial.

If you are wanting the tulip display to last for several years I'd suggest either the Darwin Hybrids, or else Specie Tulips as they should reliably return and even multiply for years.

Colorblends has the Darwin Hybrids for less than $300 for 1000 bulbs, which in my opinion is reasonable.

Below is a link to Specie tulips, many/most of which are great for naturalizing. They are priced about the same as the perennial Darwins shown at the link above.

Here is a link that might be useful: Species Tulips-johnscheepers.com

o

Two years ago Costco had crates of tulips, 1500 bulbs, good bulbs at very good prices they were not able to sell here. They may offer them in areas with enough native cooling, and if so I would consider them. I buy 200 every year and have measured them, most over 14 cm. Each bulb costs about $.25 Al

o

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am working on a project and need the tulips to come back year after year. I think I will see if I can catch the sale Van Engelen puts on in Nov.

If I wait until November will I have to store them in the fridge or will I still be able to plant them that late in the season as long as the ground is not frozen and I can still dig?

o

• Posted by socalgal USDA z10 Sunset z24 (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 19, 11 at 21:48

I checked my notes from last year, the Van Engelen sale is 40% off, not 50%.
Ruth

o

If I wait until November will I have to store them in the fridge or will I still be able to plant them that late in the season as long as the ground is not frozen and I can still dig?
You wouldn't have to store them in a fridge, but I'm not sure if that might be too late to plant in your zone. Late Nov is kinda iffy for frozen soil and planting here in my zone 5/6.

Keep in mind that if you want to be assured they will bloom in following years that you will need to get the more perennial ones (Darwins or Species), or you will be very disappointed in 2013.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here