Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Planting Hyacinthus orientalis indoor

paulsiu
12 years ago

Hi,

I live in zone 5a and I like to plant some Hyacinthus orientalis, but I haven't figure out yet where exactly to put the plant. Can I plant the bulbs in a pot and then plant it as a full plant later?

If I grow it in a pot, should I leave it outside or stick it in the garage. The garage is unheated but is probably warmer than outside. Would it be enough to chill the bulb?

Thanks.

Paul

Comments (3)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

Hi Paul,

Welcome to The Bulb Forum!

I live in zone 5a and I like to plant some Hyacinthus orientalis, but I haven't figure out yet where exactly to put the plant.
    Do you know when you might know exactly where you would like them planted? This fall yet, or maybe not before next spring?
    In my opinion, you still have some planting time yet this fall before the soil freezes.

Can I plant the bulbs in a pot and then plant it as a full plant later?
    Yes. Did you have in mind to have it for bloom inside this next spring, and then plant it out in the soil sometime after it blooms?

If I grow it in a pot, should I leave it outside or stick it in the garage.
    It would probably be best in the garage. The problem with bulbs in pots outside is that they often don't drain well, and there is the possibility that the bulbs could rot. Also, many pots won't withstand winter weather and will crack and break with wet soil in them that then freezes. Ask me how I know.

The garage is unheated but is probably warmer than outside. Would it be enough to chill the bulb?
    I would think that an unheated garage would certainly be cold enough in your zone to meet the chill requirements.

I guess I am a bit confused about what exactly you have in mind. Could you maybe be a bit more specific?

Sue

• paulsiu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, the whole bed is being redone and it's full of weeds. However, the planning hasn't been completed, so we don't know where the bulb is going to. We may not know until next spring.

What I like to do is to start the bulb in a fairly large size pot right now to get the root system going. At some point, the potted plant will get planted into the ground.

Thanks!

Paul

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

Well, the whole bed is being redone and it's full of weeds.
    Boy I can certainly relate to that and understand.

What I like to do is to start the bulb in a fairly large size pot right now to get the root system going.
    I think then that that should be fine, just leaving all the soil in tact with the roots and bulb when planted out.

Good luck with your weedy bed being redone. Hopefully you can get it redone and beautiful once again soon. I should have dug so many things out of 2 out of control beds of mine earlier this year and fear it is now too late to dig and move so many things, particularly bearded irises. I don't really have any good prepped places to go with them at this time anyway though...sigh. Could it be that you and I have more than we can properly care for? Did I just say that?

Sue