Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moving poppy anemones

Posted by dianne0712 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 9:56

I planted some gorgeous blue poppy anemones about 6 years ago. Now we have built a porch across the front door and they are in the wrong place. I've heard they shouldn't be moved, but I really have to. I can't seem to find any more for sale in Canada, only mixed shades which will clash with my house. These are my favourites and I really want to keep them. Does anyone know how and when to move these?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moving poppy anemones

I have never moved mine BUT..... I know after they fade and foliage die they are impossible to find as they look like crumbles of dirt when dormant. Mine are sending out green leaves right now. I would say that it would be ok to scoop each plant with a little bit of the surrounding dirt. They should have enough time to re-settle themselves and bloom next spring.

o

Whatever you do there are three good things to remember:
1. Those bulbs were in a package to begin with so they can't be all that bad about being transplanted - they already experienced it once.
2. The rule of thumb for transplanting anything is to have it out of the ground (or out of the conditions in which it will be stored) for as little time as possible.
3. All bulbs/corms/etc transplant best as soon as the foliage dies back completely. (And it is easiest to spot them when the yellow/brown twigs and leaves are still attached - less chance of slicing them with your shovel.)

I know it's not as specific as you are looking for, but I would say it sounds about right. And actually that should be enough information to get the job done and keep them alive.

o

I have lifted them out of the ground, left them on a cardboard flat and planted them again several months later.

Anemones don't all make it. If you have some foliage above ground I think that you should be able to transplant them most easily. But if you miss that opportunity and can find the little buggers...they are not fussy at all.
c

o

I bought some corms late (on special). I planted them in a shallow flat quite thickly as there were 25 in the packet.

I left them to sprout and, as the leaves came through, I transplanted them into deeper containers and let them grow on. Most survived and they are still flowering (southern hemisphere).

Provided your final bed for them is well prepared before you close down for winter, I'd wait until they show up in early spring and transplant 'in the green' (with their leaves emerging), with a generous amount of dirt around their roots, to their new bed. Firm in and water lightly.

As your spring frosts are probably snappier than ours I think I'd provide a cloche/fleece to offset any chilly nights and prevent any frost heave.

By doing so while they are in active growth you can 'catch the season's benefits' (they WANT to grow!) and any slight harm will be offset by spring surge in roots/leaves.

On the 'just in case I lose some' insurance step - mark several with 'no bird will ever move these' tags while they are growing, and lift, as has been suggested, when the foliage is starting to die back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here