Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering Tender Bulbs in Pots.

Posted by denninmi 6A SE Michigan (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 27, 09 at 10:08

Does anyone else grow and overwinter their tender bulbs (I have glads, dahlias, eucomis, acidanthera, oxalis, calla, canna, Peruvian daffodils, Amorphophallus, Zephranthes, and a few others) right in the soil in pots?

I got sick of digging and planting, digging and storing, a few years back. So, I potted them all, and now I just cut off the tops after frost, let them pots dry out a few weeks in a dry place (garage or greenhouse), then store in my basement or barely-heated attached garage.

They store MUCH better this way than when dug. I used to have problems in particular with glads and dahlias rotting. Not now.

Of course, it does take a bit of room. I've got about 30 pots of various bulbs, most are in 18" square containers, and a few are larger tubs about 22". I just tuck the pots under of behind things, and I also stack them 2 to 3 deep if possible.

They go back outside in mid to late April after the danger of hard freezes is over.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering Tender Bulbs in Pots.

I do this a lot. Or used to before it became too much work to schlepp all those pots around twice a year :-)

I think it is of benefit to grow a lot of tender bulbs in containers, as many of them require a good deal of soil heat to get started in spring as well as hot conditions to bloom well and containers heat up faster than inground conditions and you can move or place the pots to receive maximum sun and heat to encourage flowering.

o

What a good idea! I have never tried this, but it would be a great way to overwinter Caladiums. Next year...:)

o

• Posted by chills Zone 6b Mi (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 27, 09 at 22:45

I've got Calla and Euconomis (pineapple lily) in the ground (too lazy to deal with yet another plant to cart around (with the figs, passiflora, jasmines, dragonfruit, palm and assorted other things).

They've come back for me the last 2 years (and last year was a pretty harsh winter temps wise for me....coldest so far in SCS in 7 years)

~Chills

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here