Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seacat_gw

Two Qtns re Tulilps in Containers

seacat
15 years ago

OK, I'm a balcony gardener. I'm again planting containers of tulips, and other spring bulbs.

1. MOULD I've noticed one container of tulips (coleur cardinals) have a bit of green mould on their tips. They were potted up Sep 20th when nite time temps started to be in the 10C/50F range. Do I need to discard these bulbs? Can I brush off the mould, perhaps apply some sort of fungacide, leave then in the container and hope for the best in the spring? Should I separate this container completely from the rest of my other planted containers of bulbs?

2. SOIL - Some sources I've read say regular potting mix is ok for tulips but many recommend amendments to regular potting mix. For various reasons, I just planted bulbs in regular potting mix (Pro-Mix). I'm having second thoughts now, and concerned about rot, and my question is, am I risking much by digging up, adding sand and replanting the bulbs. I know many recommend perlite but it seems extremely expensive. In a post last fall, Posiegirl recommended adding a 'wick' - if you read this, what do you use as a wick? Butcher cord? a piece of absorbent fabric?

Tx!

Seacat

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville