Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

For FAQ-Tulip sources you have purchased from

Where have you purchased tulips, both locally and mail order?

Please let us know about your purchasing experiences. Were you pleased or not, and why.

Sue...not much of a tulip grower for years.

Comments (8)

• Donna
    13 years ago

Hi, Sue. I have purchased tulips and daffodils from Brent and Beckys Bulbs. I have always been well pleased with the size of the bulbs and their performance. It's a plus that they are southern growers. Not all varieties grow and/or persist in the south.

I have also purchased very hard to find tulips and daffodils from Old House Gardens. Their prices are higher, but their bulbs are top size/quality and you can sometimes find varieties from them that are available nowhere (or nearly nowhere) else.

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

CostCo - excel if a named variety; generic viridifloras were a disappointment. Price excellent. Bulbs excellent. Con: large quantity.

Van Engelen - online; excellent quality; excellent variety; prices good.

Trader Joe's store - excellent quality & price if they offer.

Orchard Hardware store - correct ID; price excellent; quality good but save receipt as bulbs may have been subjected to high levels of ethylene gas and grow well but no flower; impossible to detect at purchase.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

I was just wondering whether it is OK to name commercial companies in the FAQs rather than in invididual posts. Doesn't it cross over into promotion which I thought was against the rules of GW? It is basically free advertising for these firms. You don't wnat to tread on anyone's toes.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good point Flora. I do know though that in the existing FAQ that bulb vendors are named. They are copied posts though, so that may be what I will have to do also, or at least give the member name (and date) along with the comments in a nutshell.

You don't want to tread on anyone's toes.
    So true...I'll ask GW about it pronto.

Thanks!

Thank you too Donna and Iris, for your input.

Sue

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Sue,
    Brent and Beckys, John Scheepers, Tulip World, Colorblends.

First year for Tulip World and Colorblends.

JohnScheepers and Brent and Becky's are excellent. Tulip World sent bulbs that seem to be very good quality and size (won't know about accuracy until they bloom.) Colorblends offers to prechill and I accepted that offer, so they aren't here yet. (Alabama, too hot to plant yet.)
    kay

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You don't want to tread on anyone's toes.
    So true...I'll ask GW about it pronto.

Ok, I got a reply and it is fine to list vendors, so long as it is not specific commercial links that someone is affliated with.

Kay, Thanks for your input.

Sue

• luvahydrangea
    13 years ago

I order from Colorblends and VanEngelen. Colorblends I've ordered from previously and was always very happy with my bulbs from them. This year I got 3 batches of a tulip mix that had some dried out moldy ones. But everything else in the order was great (crocuses, Spanish blue bells, muscari.)

This was my first year ordering from Van Engelen, I ordered my daffodils, lilies (elodie), Hyacinths and a few amaryllis bulbs and so far everything looks healthy and I'm very happy with my order. I will definitely order from them again. They have some stuff on sale right now too, but I still have about 400 bulbs to get in the ground so I can't order anymore! :)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

As far as I can tell all tulips are grown on the same farm in Holland. No matter where I have purchased tulip bulbs, only the packaging is different. I don't think any tulip I have planted new has failed to flower. I think planting tulips in mass is primary, which causes me to buy tulips where the prices are best. I will not buy tulips late in the season no matter how cheaply they may be offered. Al

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts