Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
(Cheap) Alternatives to Peat Moss

Posted by doowad z6 MO (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 27, 10 at 10:37

I need to store some bulbs over the winter and wonder if anyone has had any luck (good or bad) with storing them in newspaper or shredded paper? I know that there are other alternatives to peat moss, but I am looking for something economical/free.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: (Cheap) Alternatives to Peat Moss

Hi doowad,

Welcome to The Bulb Forum.

I think wadded newspaper or shredded paper would be fine, as well as (dry)sawdust, (dry)wood shavings, (dry)sand, or maybe even (dry)straw.

Sue

o

Thanks! They are really not very many bulbs so I don't need anything too special. I'll try the newspaper.

o

Dried, preferably cut or shredded, oak leaves work great for this sort of thing. pH is similar to peat moss, very acidic, which acts as a natural antibiotic.

Free for the gathering right now across most of N. America, I would suspect.

o

Thanks! They are really not very many bulbs so I don't need anything too special. I'll try the newspaper.

o

I love the oak leaves idea. And I have an abundance right now lol.

o

No oak trees around here. Are other leaves useable, like maple or curly willow?

o

You could probably use other types of leaves as long as they are very, very dry. But, they aren't as acidic as oak leaves or peat, so they won't have as strong of an anti-microbial effect. Oak is definitely the best for this, IMO.

Pine needles would be good if you can get those, they're pretty acidic. I wouldn't try to use other evergreen needles, like cedar or spruce, they might be toxic to the bulbs.

o

Thanks for all the good ideas! I scored a bag full of pine needles today on my compost run around the neighborhood so I may try that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here