Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
FAQ #2 Allium-looking for input

Posted by chemocurl zone 5/6 S INDIANA (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 27, 10 at 10:41

I see no reason to go into any great detail about alliums here in our FAQ since there is an actual Allium Forum, but think they should be included (with link to The Allium Forum) since so many allium questions are asked here.(169 threads)

2--Allium
Plants of the genus Allium include garlic, leeks, onions, scallions, shallots, as well as numerous flowering bulbs that are grown for their showy blooms. For further information or questions, please see The Allium Forum, (and insert link to the Allium Forum until the Allium FAQ are completed.)

Ok...critique please...spelling, grammar, punctuation, better wording...anything that comes to mind. This is just the first draft.

tia,

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: FAQ #2 Allium-looking for input

I suspect the reason so many questions are asked here is because the allium forum is largely dedicated to the garlic, onion etc...type of allium and the ones here are interested in growing the allium as an ornamental.

kay

o

I suspect the reason so many questions are asked here is because the allium forum is largely dedicated to the garlic, onion etc.

I suspect you are right. I'll ask that the FAQ editor at The Allium Forum (if anyone volunteers) please include some info on Ornamental Allium in their FAQ. As always we can and will continue to help folks with allium questions here, as best as we can, but might also let them know there is an Allium Forum where they might find further information of interest.

Sue

o

The allium forum is not a good place to discuss ornamental alliums. As Kay said, its all about garlic and edible alliums there. I grow mostly ornamental alliums but I also grow heirloom garlic. I would go to the allium forum for advice on my garlic but not on my ornamental alliums. Typically, people who grow edible varieties are not interested in ornamental varieties.

o

Well I asked at Alliums that Ornamental Alliums be included in their FAQ. Hopefully someone will volunteer to be the editor.

The number of questions fielded for allium or flowering allium asked here at Bulbs is small compared to the search results found over there.

Search on allium here---171 threads
search on Ornamental allium here-13 threads

Search at Alliums on Allium-1,720 threads
Search at Alliums on Ornamental Alliums-63

Even though there is an actual Lily Forum, questions are often asked here about lilies, and get help here. We can still field questions here on alliums, lilies, amaryllis, etc, that would maybe be better addressed on other more 'plant specific' forums.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here