Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Allium Globe master

Posted by brigarif Lahore Pakistan (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 16, 11 at 10:57

Hello,
I live in Lahore Pakistan (USA Zone 10-11)
I am going to plant 10 bulbs of Allium Globe master for the first time.
I understand they bloom in May like Haemanthus multiflorus.
I plant my stored bulbs of Haemanthus in early spring and the blooms appear in early May before the foliage. The timing remains the same even when the bulbs are left in the ground.
SHOULD I treat the Globe master the same way? Or should I plant it now?
If planted now, when should I expect it to sprout?
Arif

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Allium Globe master

bragarif, they should definitely be planted in fall. I've grown tonnes of alliums now, including several globemasters, and all were planted in October/November, it gives them time to develop a root system before the growth spurt in the spring. One note, after 2 years I had the bulbs multiply and had 9 new bulbs just from one original, so make sure to dig them up in a couple years to separate.

o

Thank you,wouldnt it be better to pull them out after the foliage has died. They may rot in July August the hot rainy season.

o

It just depends if the soil drains well, if you have a low organic content, high amount of sand, it's probably fine. I would just worry about the bulbs getting enough cold to bloom again the next year.

Most flowering bulbs are native to the northern middle east, like Iran, Turkey and Caucus Mountains.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here