Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arum italicum pictum, marmoratum

Posted by donnabaskets 7b-8 MS (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 25, 10 at 11:09

I am putting together a large pot for winter to sit on my east facing roofed front porch. I have tried pansies, hyacinths, and such there in the past, but it seems to get too much shade in winter for sun lovers. So, I am going to put in a tall evergreen Male Fern, some white variegated monkey grass, and some Arum.

My question is this. Can the arums stay in the pot all the time? This pot is planted year round, and through the summer, it gets watered every single day. I have read conflicting info on the water needs of this bulb. Some say it needs consistent moisture, Pamela Harper says arum hate wet soil. I have to wonder where the line is between consistent moisture and wet? Ken A. can perhaps advise on the best kind of potting medium to use to walk this line?

If the bulbs will rot under these conditions, I want to know if I can dig, store, and replant them each year, or should I get a separate pot for this porch spot and change them out seasonally?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arum italicum pictum, marmoratum

Arum Italicum is a good plant for dry shade. It grows lush in my shady beds in the woods where it gets little or no supplimentary water, even in the heat of summer, but it is dormant then anyway. I think too much moisture would probably rot it. I've never grown it in a pot, don't know how successful it would be for the long run.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here