Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to work with Glads that survive a zone 5 winter

Posted by dcrosby 5MA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 6, 09 at 11:12

Dear garden folk

I know that you should wait until the leaves on the bulbs turns brown and then top them off. But what about glads? Since they're not supposed to be hardy here i'm not sure how to treat them. The stalks are still green and healthy. Do i cut the healthy stalks down or...what?

Thanks!!

Dale

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to work with Glads that survive a zone 5 winter

Wait until they turn brown then dug them up and removed the tops at that time and store in a dark dry cool location then re-plant them next spring. We use to dig them up and leave them on the ground to dry out completely before removing the tops and storing them away. We only put them into a bushel basket and placed them in our cellar for the winter.

o

Dale ~~ green leaves are still feeding the bulb for next year's bloom. Wait as long as you can before freezes to dig.

Replant as soon as possible (spring) to get them on a cycle where the foliage has begun to brown by October.

o

I have had Glads for quite a few years now. I am in a zone 5b. Like the other people said I wait till they go brown to cut down. But mine survive the winter in the ground. They are on the south side of my house close to my foundation and they have done great! They also have mulc over them, but no more than anything else gets.

o

They sure do take forever for their leaves to turn brown though!!! A few of mine are browning slightly, but the majority is still bright green...I want to move some to different locations, but I am still waiting.

I have about 200 glads planted. They are so beautiful even the common varieties. They make excellent cutflowers.

Danielle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here