Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
15' of snow and 50 bulbs left to plant!!!

Posted by sunnysideuphill 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 31, 11 at 11:31

Ok, I know I am not the only person is the position - boy did the NE get hammered this weekend. One town 20 miles away got more than 24".

The place I wanted to plant this last batch is in full sun, and we are supposed to have a week of days in the 40's to 50's, and nights that will be freezing.

So - I am afraid that if I shovel off the spot, it will be soaking wet, but if I let it dry out, that night it will freeze!

So - shovel it off today, then put a tarp over it so it doesn't freeze, hopefully, then uncover it tomorrow am for the warmth and sun to do its thing, then plant in late afternoon?

Any other thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 15' of snow and 50 bulbs left to plant!!!

I would put a tarp over the patch just to melt off the snow. Snow reflects sunlight which slows its melting but a dark-colored tarp will basically cook the snow away very quickly.

The snow itself will keep the ground from freezing. The snow came so early in the year that the soil is surely still warm, and snow is an excellent insulator.

I think we are still early enough in the year that in spite of snow cover, the ground has not frozen. I think the snow will likely melt off in a week or so, but if you are concerned you can certainly put something on the snow to encourage it to melt away more quickly.

o

How is it going? Is it melting for you? We had just under a foot of snow and most is gone today.

o

Yes, most of it is gone. There is an irregular pattern of very wet snow that looks like coffee cake icing on the brown mulch of the bed. Since I won't be able to get to it until Saturday, I think the rest will be gone by then. At least I never lost power - my sister in western Mass just got it back this AM, lost all the stuff in her freezer. New England weather is getting more and more "new englandy" (as in, don't like New England weather? wait five minutes).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here