Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple Sensation

Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 23, 08 at 11:56

Can someone tell me when to plant these bulbs in my zone. On all my regular bulbs (dafs, tulips, crocus etc) I wait for the soil to cool down and that usually means about mid November or later. But this is in the onion family so can I plant them now even though we haven't even had a hard freeze yet? And also, does this plant spread by bulb offsets like the Drumstick Allium? I swear those little pea size bulbs are almost impossible to get rid of and I don't want this Purple Sensation to take over my garden.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple Sensation

MaryL, sorry you haven't had a response yet.

I put purple sensation in the ground this weekend, and I'm at the border of zones 7 and 6. I'd say I've planted them about four times over the years, and have never had a problem with them taking over.

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 2, 08 at 19:54

AFter I posted that question I looked at my notes from years ago when I had planted some different varieties of Alliums and I planted them in the fall about now just as you said. I DO appreciate you helping me though. I know I don't have anything exotic because I got the bulbs from Ace Hardware, so couldn't understand the lack of response here. I really thank you for easing my mind however about them being invasive. I was concerned about that a lot.
Maryl

o

If you're worried about them reseeding, just clip the flower stem off at the base and discard. The flowers will get smaller the following year if allowed to go to seed, and eventually stop blooming, anyway. Deadheading will keep them strong longer.

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 3, 08 at 23:44

I knew not to let any bulb in the Allium family spread seed, but its good advice to be reminded of again. No, it's those darned tiny (smaller then a pea in some cases) bulblets that form all around the main bulb that spread faster then the Asian Flu. I like the Drumstick Allium, but had I known it would spread like it does I might have been more careful about where I planted it. As it is, I'm glad to hear that Purple Sensation does not have those tendencies. To be on the safe side I'm going to plant the bulbs in a buried pot I have in my border.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here