Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP! need advice a,s,a.p.

Posted by roxanna z5b MA (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 11:57

it is getting colder outside day by day and my enthusiasm for being out there planting tulips is fast waning. i would like to plant them in large pots and overwinter them instead of putting them in the ground.

my question: can/should i leave the planted pots outside for a time before putting them into my unheated garage? if so, at what point do i bring them in -- after a hard freeze? and do i water them after the initial watering after planting?

i admit i do not like to work outdoors on chilly autumn days when the soil is cold, and i ought to have planted before now, but i have becoem a lazy gardener in my "old age" !!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP! need advice a,s,a.p.

Sure, you can leave the pots outside as long as you are sure they will stay cool. Perhaps somewhere in the shade next to the north side of your house. As it cools down outside, you definitely do not want the pots to freeze solid as that will kill everything. But you do want to keep the pots around 35 degrees or so.

Only water them enough to prevent them from drying out all the way. In a non porous pot that will take very little water.

You may still get a warm spell yet - don't give up hope for outdoor planting! Tulips in the ground do so much better than those in pots. But tulips in pots will certainly do better than tulips that are not planted at all. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here