Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fireweed22

Crocuses planted in lawn didn't come up. Is there a trick?

fireweed22
9 years ago

Planted a couple hundred crocuses in the lawn last fall, and this spring maybe 3-5 came up. The bulbs were purchased fresh but were found rotting in spring.
And this is sandy well drained soil.

Must I remove the turf above the newly planted bulbs so they don't work so hard to reach the light?
Or what am I missing?

Thanks.

Comments (3)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

If they were rotting, they either were bad to start with, the soil isn't well drained, or they froze.

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

You shouldn't have to remove the turf. Do you water your lawn a lot? Did you buy bargain-basement bulbs?

• emerogork
    9 years ago

A few years ago my USDA zone was "upgraded" to 5 and my mother has had crocuses in the lawn for years when we were in zone 4. You are in zone 6, so cold should not be a problem. One could even question if it is cold enough for crocuses but I don't know.

1) Do they get sun before and when they bloom?

2) Are you using Winter or very-early spring blooming crocus?

3a) How many did you find rotting?
    3b) Does the rotting show any color? Could it be mold?

4a) How many were missing?
    4b) Did something eat them?
    4c) Did you find any fragments?

5) If grass is growing then I would doubt that it is nutrient or pH but I would have the soil tested. Be sure to tell the one doing the test that it is for lawn and crocuses.

6) Although you say that you have sandy and well drained soil, Is it possible that water collected for extended times when the ground is frozen?

7) Do you have crocuses elsewhere that are surviving?

8a) Did you apply any chemicals to the lawn?
    8b) Is it a rest stop for pets?

9) Could there have been excessive chemicals in the lawn from the previous year?

1. When you planted them, did you dig a hole or press them in? Pressing will damage the corm.

We used a steel stake to pierce the ground, dropped in generous pinch (teaspoon ?) of bone meal, a bit of soil, added the corm, filled the hole and they have been blooming ever since.

Once they are established, be sure to not cut the grass until after the crocus leaves die back. This could make for a messy lawn.

TMQs?
    Maybe...
    Hope some of this helps.

This post was edited by Emerogork2 on Tue, Oct 28, 14 at 21:13

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists