Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Does anyone grow daffodils Conquest and Edna Earl?

I want to know the height before placing it. I tried Google search (nothing at all), Daves's Garden (16 pages of daffodils, not alphabetized, which make it hard to search). Daffseek lists it, but has no height listed.

I bought it at the local daffodil society, but their paperwork does not list height either. I have a lot, I sure want to know where to plant it. :(

Also, Edna Earl. Daffseek lists it at 26 inches, Van Engelen at 14-16. Which is it?!

Comments (4)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

I would go with Daffseek (tall 26") for Edna Earl.

I found Conquest listed in my ADS Show and Grow book, but it is one of the very few that doesn't have a height 'code' listed for it. If in doubt, I'd guess it to be a mid height, somewhere between 12 and 26 inches.

What all cool stuff did you get from the daff sale? I'm all ears.

Sue...heading back out to plant

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Sue! With luck I'll be planting them tomorrow. It's going to get a lot colder here, so I'm under the gun. I hope you got a lot done. What are you planting?

This biggest issue for me is planting a bulb without killing another in the process. I take pictures during blooming time, and print those out as "maps" when I need to plant: figure out where I can shoehorn another in.

I went to the Illinois society sale held at the Chicago Botanic garden about 2 weeks ago. I didn't get much. I was looking for miniatures and Poeticus looking types. Basically short cups, with colored rims. I was there on the second day, so a lot had sold out: no miniatures left, apart from what I already have. I got: Angel Eyes (which I have wanted for a long time), Edna Earl (which I had bought elsewhere once before, but which never bloomed), Conquest (very cheap, so got 24), and Killearnan. It was surprising; some of the bulbs are so small. I don't know whether these cultivars just have small bulbs, or not. But all the small bulbs were very inexpensive, so might need to grow on a bit, before they do much.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

It was surprising; some of the bulbs are so small. I don't know whether these cultivars just have small bulbs, or not. But all the small bulbs were very inexpensive, so might need to grow on a bit, before they do much.
    Knowing the source of the bulbs, makes it understandable why a lot of them are quite small and cheap. They are donated bulbs from various sources and chances are good that a lot of them have maybe needed dug years ago, before the bulbs grew crowded and divided themselves, multiplying but just making smaller bulbs.

I see I have some very small Conquest here that came to me via the IN Daff Society and I'm to grow them out (plant, let them get big, and then later dig them for our bulb sale). I'm sure they are the same source as your Conquest are. These are the smallest of the small. My thinking is that very small or tiny bulbs are often scoffed at by buyers and just won't sell very well.

Actually there can be some very good finds at Daff Soc sales, but I'm probably preaching to the choir telling you so.

all the small bulbs were very inexpensive, so might need to grow on a bit, before they do much.
    Yes, I'm not big on 'instant gratification' either, and don't mind waiting an extra year for a real show of something unique or 'special'.

Back in 2008 I bought Chaste for $3 at a daff sale. I dug it this year and had so many nice sized bulbs and shared some with some daff loving friends and still have 7 nice bulbs to reset for myself. To some it might just look like a plain old white large trumpet, but it is a wonderful show flower, with nearly every bloom 'perfect', and retails for $15 for one bulb from a specialty grower.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    12 years ago

Sorry I don't grow Edna or Conquest.... I just wanted to say Ouch on the Chaste bulbs. I had a nice clump coming along with several blooms..... dug them this summer and between bulb flies and rot from the damp weather, I'll be lucky to get a single bloom next spring :(

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz