Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall Crocus Question

Posted by Sequoiadendron4 6B (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 12:47

Hello,

I planted 15 fall crocus bulbs 4 weeks ago and they are just starting to put up their greens. I may be confused but I thought they put up the greens in the spring to get energy stored for blooming in the fall. I don't have the varieties off the top of my head but they were definitely fall bloomers. My question is this: am I right or am I wrong? Will these bloom this fall or not?

Please help, thanks :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall Crocus Question

Maybe you planted them too soon? I wonder what other people have to say?

I'm personally wondering if I should plant now or wait two more weeks to give the squirrels enough time to forget about rummaging the plot? (They got to feast upon this week's failed planting attempt.)

That's also given the forecast for Minnesota. Looks like next week will have lows all below freezing and threat of snow. Or am I too late?

o

You should get those guys in the ground asap or wait until next year. You are out of time. I planted them when I did because I thought I would see blooms this season, at least that's what the friendly folks at the garden center told me....

o

As far as I know, Crocus and golden Crocus (Sternbergia) grow both foliage and flowers in fall.

Colchicum sprout only flowers in fall and show leaves in spring.
And for Zone 7 it is advised to plant fall crocus in september, so not sure whether yours will manage to flower before the frost.

Next year should be okay then.

Bye, Lin

o

The name of the crocus will answer the question. What is the crocus cultivar?

o

Yeah that's a bummer because I didn't save the tag on them. I'm pretty sure one was the Saffron and the other was a pink one but I'm not sure which variety. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I'm glad to know though that some fall crocuses are supposed to get their leaves in the fall.

o

A couple fall crocus here are just now sending up blooms. Normally we are at about our first frost here at this time of year. They'll send up foliage after blooming and as long as I keep the rabbits away from the leaves they'll stay green all winter. You might still get blooms.
Btw the saffron crocus usually need dividing each spring or they overcrowd and stop blooming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here