Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tired_of_digging

Returning to bulbs, after climatic changes

tired_of_digging
13 years ago

My recent experience with bulb plantings in the last few years was anything but successful. I have not seen a single flower from most species, and possibly that triggered excessive bulb divisions instead of seed production, yielding too many small bulbs hard to grow and handle.

The last two years, a dog was brought to the house before the garden was fenced. I planted them in small pots hoarded on the balcony, and that was worse for them than any imaginable pest: Too many bulb rots and a family not understanding why I don't grow something that flowers like a real plant.

Recent years' climate was bad for them and I don't see it going any better: Minimum winter temperatures not going below 10c/50F and many bulbs -- especially tulips -- did not do much better with cooling before planting. A large collection was nearly completely devastated and I was left with Chinese narcissus.

I'm considering to focus on heat-tolerant species for the time being. Any idea? My favorite exotic bulbs are Massonias Neobakerias and Daubenyas which I consider growing in bonsai pots inside a cactus potting mix. Exotic gladiolii are very appealing and may also require a cactus potting mix as they were among the first in my collection to rot.

I have a recent concept of growing bulbs as companion plants with cacti: I live in a mediterranean climate, and it rains in winter. The potting soil, being fast-draining, protects the cacti from rotting in the winter, and this has been tested for two consecutive years. The bulbs will be planted along the edges of the pot to avoid being overwatered in summer when dormant.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting