Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

Score (!!!) on Species tulips and muscari at Menard's Home Center

I'd been wanting all 3 of these for some time, but in my daffodil craziness, had just not wanted to order them. To buy on line, they are a lot more expensive than what I got them for yesterday in the store.

Species tulip Lilac Wonder got 50 for about $5.

Species Tulip Saxatilis again, 50 for about $5.

Muscari latifolium 25 for just $3.25

This was their 'regular' price, and not even marked down. Any of you spring bulb crazed folks heading out to your Menard's soon while they might still have some? I was so excited at finding them, especially at such great prices.

Sue

Comments (18)

• Donna
    14 years ago

This is me turning green with envy. What a deal. :)

• lila888
    14 years ago

I have read your post and went to Menard's this afternoon. These are the bulbs and plants I have bought. I hope that H. Earth Angel is not mislabeled. Thanks for the heads up.

{{gwi:27855}}

{{gwi:27856}}

{{gwi:27857}}

{{gwi:27858}}

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cool Lila. I'm glad you found you some goodies. I'm temped to ask you to maybe trade 10 Tarda for 10 Lilac Wonder. I'll be on vacation this week, but will maybe get in touch next week. Think about it if you might be interested in a small trade.

Sorry Donna. I see they are not located in MS.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Menard's Store Locator

• lila888
    14 years ago

Sue, I am interested in a small trade. Email me when you get back.

lila

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    14 years ago

Good deals! I was at Menards yesterday and picked up a few types of tulips. At our store they were marked down 40% already. I saw some of the same ones that both of you got. That makes me think all the Menards have the same varieties.

I was looking specifically for orange and purple, so didnÂt find exactly what I was looking for: but did not go home empty handed. I got Purple Prince and one that looks like a bi-color yellow and salmon. Probably not bright enough, but hey, it was cheap enough. They had one package only of a multi-flowered Greigii orange one whose name escapes me. I went through EVERY tray but there was only one package. I might have to check some other stores. Though since I will have to use hardware cloth to plant them I should not be too eager.

Oh, got a few giant mixed crocuses too. On the other hand, there were NO individual daffodil varieties left. Only the mixed bags of 50. I had bought one of those at Menards last year and it was a disappointment: all were the same, and all a wimpy solid plain yellow. And no hyacinths left either.

• lila888
    14 years ago

I went to another Menard's store and bought White Muscari, the last pack they have and some more fritillarias. I was looking for Lilac Wonder but they don't have any. I have been wanting to buy these little beauties at VanEngelen and I am glad I found them at Menard's at super deal prices.

14 years ago

Lila, I donÂt know where you are in IL: I am in the NW suburbs. I was at Home Depot today still looking for orange and purple tulips. I found ones that will work, though unfortunately they were still full price. But I didnÂt need many to fill out the plan.

I saw that they had lots of hostas on sale, and many perennials: still quite healthy looking, and much better than the ones I saw at Menards earlier in the week. I went though them carefully as I am looking for specific types (gold or white centers, NOT edges.) They had lots of Earth Angel, Wide Brim, Sagae, and more. All $3.33 for a gallon.

I may go back next week after thinking about what I "need" in perennials.

• bookjunky4life
    14 years ago

I purchased some double-blooming daffodils and some yellow tall bearded irises at Menards about two weeks ago. I went to plant my irises Friday and they were completely rotted! There doesn't really seem to be a company name on the package. Anyone have any idea if I'd be able to get a refund or replacement? . . . or had this happen to them?

• lila888
    14 years ago

Hi Linnea56, thanks for letting me know. I did not read your post up until now but I did went to Home Depot and scored on some hostas and 3 Tricyrtis Formosana. They were $1.50/gal container. I went back last Sunday hoping the remaining 2 TFs were still there but they were snatched up. The bulbs were 25% off but I did not buy any. I plan on going back today to pick up 1 more hosta.

I live in the NW sububurbs also, a few blocks from O'Hare.

bookjunky4life, I purchased lily bulbs late spring this year and they were dried up, shrivelled like a raisin. I returned them and got a refund. Maybe you can get a refund too.

14 years ago

Every year I get tempted at Menards and buy some lilies, I usually examine them really carefully but in the plastic packs they use sometimes itÂs hard to tell. I had not thought of returning them, I wonder why.

Spring is not really the right time to buy lilies so IÂm not sure why they have most of them then. Fall is better but I saw only one or 2 kinds offered when I bought the tulips a few weeks ago.

Both Menards and HD had lots of irises too, I checked a few at HD a few days ago and they were all totally dry and brown. I could use some irises but those were hopeless. I didnÂt look further. I must be improving. I did not empty out all the cardboard boxes looking for one that still had a touch of green.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I'm headed to the ADS (American Daffodil Society) Midwest Regional Meeting here in a few minutes. Whoo-hoo! I'm told there will be a lot of nice bulbs on the exchange table.

I'll also be getting into another Menards, and am hoping to score again. I'll report back in this eve.

Sue

14 years ago

Well...Did you find anything?

I want everyone else to pile things up so I can feel virtuous.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, forgot to come back after hitting Menards.

Yes, I got 3 packs of 50 (150 total) of species tulip Lilac Wonder
    3 packs of 50 (150 total) Specie tulip saxatilis
    3 packs of 50 (150 total) specie tulip Tarda
    3 packs 25 each (75 total) muscari latifolium
    1 pack (14 each of mixed long stemmed tulips.

Grand total of 539 bulbs. What was I thinking?

Linnea, I thought since you are finished, maybe you's wanna take a few of these off my hands (at cost)...huh? huh? huh?

I know you will end up with more bulbs before the bulb planting season is over. I 'know' how you are.

Sue

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    14 years ago

oops. Hate when all those bulbs just kind of fall into your cart! I'm too much of a wimp to go to the register with all those bulbs at once. I only get a couple and then kick myself later for letting them get away!

14 years ago

Since I saw what they had a few weeks ago, and it must be even less of a variety now, I was able to resist. As long as I didnÂt actually SEE anything, that is possible. Those Lilac Wonder do look pretty. I have looked at those a couple of times. I have nowhere to put that color, though. My orange and pink tulips together at least have shock value as they are both bright ones. Lilac wonder looks too pastel and subtle for there. I am out of hardware cloth again, so could not POSSIBLY do more anyway. I swear there was much less on the roll this year, as I only covered maybe 60 bulbs with the whole roll. Last year I covered hundreds.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    14 years ago

Went to our small scale version of Menards (The Christmastree Shop)and found their bulbs to be 50% off, so I manned-up and got some.

20 tete a tete daffs
    15 pink darwin tulips
    15 orange/yellow darwins
    15 tulipa linifolia (could only find one bag)
    20 chiondoxa forbessii
    the total came to just over $11 so I'm pleased. Since the place is on the way from work I'm going to try and check in again at a later date to see if they mark down more..... last year they went to .99 a pack at the very end.

I've been wanting to try the t. linifolia for years but always opted for something else with a bigger flashier bloom. This was an offer I couldn't turn down. They are funny looking bulbs, there's a tuft of fluff coming off the tip of each one..... it looks like they have little brown fur lined parkas on.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Lilac wonder looks too pastel and subtle for there.
    I don't know how anyone could resist those little beauties, sticking in a few here and there...like under a hosta.

I'm proud of ya Kato! Way to throw restraint to the wind. I wonder if there will be anything left by the time I have everything planted. Luckily I won't be out and about and passing any bulb displays in the next week or so.

Oh, I see 15 tulipa linifolia is a specie tulip. What a great score. I'll need 3-5 of those sometime in the future...hear? even if it is 2010. I just gave 2 small bags of Tete-a-Tete to my neighbor, knowing I already had 2 well established clumps. I'll be sorting out other things too (I think) that are doubles, in the hope of lightening my planting load a little.

I borrowed a bulb auger from a neighbor, and now he has offered his 1/2 cordless drill too, so I won't have to string an extension cord when using my drill. Planting the named daff cultivars is still time consuming, planting them in straight rows, carefully spaced apart as well as carefully spaced in the holes, and with both above and below ground markers. Having OCD (being anal) is certainly making it slow going in getting all of these daffs planted. I'm rearing to go today though, and off to print up some more labels.

Sue...who went to bed really early last night

Here is a link that might be useful: me planting daffs-Obsessive-Compulsive Disorders

14 years ago

Kato...you really did well! I love chiondoxa. You will need more. I bought chiondoxa lucillae at Menards last year, it looks like it is the same thing as chiondoxa forbessii. Confusing. I found the blue color was on the lavender side, might go well with some deep purple crocus. It is short-lived, though, so keep that in mind.

I have tulipa linifoliaÂI have some remaining from a batch from McClure years ago. I found that not only were the leaves very skinny, the flowers were SO tiny. Though I know species are tiny, this was going too far. Short. Even though I have it, I never SEE it. If you get some, make sure they are upfront.

I think our Menards must be out...they didn't have much the last time I went there. Maybe I should check.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals