Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will Gladiolas multiply eventually?

Posted by docmom z5 MI (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 13:29

I just dug up my first attempt at Gladiolas. They bloomed great, but every single one fell over, despite being planted close together to try to support each other. Anyway, most of the corms have 5 or 8 tiny cormlets attached to the new, mature corm. A few of them fell off during the digging process, but I saved them and threw them into the paper bag with the rest to dry. Does it make any sense to plant these babies, and if I do, how long before they might bloom. And, I assume I'll have to keep digging them up every year?

I'm probably not going to bother with the whole process. Does any one want some commercial gladiola corms in a mix of purple, lavender and white? I could ship them once they dry, or sooner to avoid freezing. Better yet, I could donate them to a neighbor and avoid the shipping cost.

I'm still curios about the viability of the baby corms. Happy gardening!

Martha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will Gladiolas multiply eventually?

In our climate where we don't dig glads for the winter they multiply to the point that they are weeded out as the small corms do grow without blooming for a couple of years. The blooming glads nearly always will fall over unless supported, but that is easily done in advance. Al

o

i find those little cormlets to be weedy when they return the next year. most glads in zone 5 succumb to freeze/thaw cycles and turn to mush, leaving one or two bulbs next spring that flower surrounded by a weedy lot of tiny stems on the cormlets. sometimes i hoe them off if i want to plant something else in that spot.

it takes years to develop flowers on these if they can make it through our iffy winters. i just buy new ones each year and plant them within a large hooped plant support that holds up the stems for flowering..

o

i find those little cormlets to be weedy when they return the next year. most glads in zone 5 succumb to freeze/thaw cycles and turn to mush, leaving one or two bulbs next spring that flower surrounded by a weedy lot of tiny stems on the cormlets. sometimes i hoe them off if i want to plant something else in that spot.

it takes years to develop flowers on these if they can make it through our iffy winters. i just buy new ones each year and plant them within a large hooped plant support that holds up the stems for flowering..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here