Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crocosmia x crocosmiiflora in clay?

Posted by aimeekitty 9-10, SW 18 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 13:50

I've seen some lovely banks of Crocosmia x crocosmiiflora (often Lucifer) and then one of the books I read said that it can do ok in clay?

I'd hate to buy like 30 Crocosmia x crocosmiiflora and then have them all rot. My soil is heavy clay, alkaline. It would be a full sun position.

Will they do ok with typical amendments as I plant...? or is it advisable to build up the area into a berm so that they drain better?

Or is it just a bad idea? :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crocosmia x crocosmiiflora in clay?

You say they will get full sun and normal water, they should not mind clay soil unless it is a bog. Al

o

Mine are in mildly alkaline clay and do very well. Buy all you can afford. The bigger the clump(s), the more beautiful the show.

o

Aimeekitty,
If you would like I can send you some mountbrea for postage. I moved all of mine out of the ground and into four large pots last year, away from the gophers. Now I going to have to move them back into the ground as they don't seem to like being potted. I have plenty to share and donnabaskets is right . . . the bigger the clump the better. You can email me direct.
Dee (Domehome)

o

Wow, I'm really excited now to try something that probably won't rot. I've had some newbie clay frustrations this year. I'm hoping to do a drift of guara, one of crocosmia and one of salvia. hopefully it will work out.

Dee, that's super generous of you, I emailed you. <3

o

I can not register. Get error message. I would love to get Crocosmia bulbs. Also agapanthus. I just returned from New Zealand--yes, just after the earthquake! They are weeds there and are beautiful.

o

We call them Montbretia here and they multiply in our mild winter, heavy clay, low rain zone like crazy! Lucifer is a pretty one.

Libby, I couldn't sign either a few days ago. And the day before it had been incredibly slow. Other sites were fine. Do agapanthus grow outside year round in you zone?

o

Lucifer is no where near as invasive as Montbretia in my opinion and experience. I compost thousands of Montbretia every year but over several years have but one puny bunch of Lucifer.

Solfaterre does pretty well and is a nice contrast with her pale yellow flowers and greyish foliage.

o

Thanks landperson! Good to know Lucifer doesn't precreate in profusion.

o

I planted Crocosmia Lucifer around my mailbox post in heavy clay last spring. We had much wet weather afterwards here in the Chicago area. Only one bulb grew and it was weak all year. This year it has come back as three, and is making flower buds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here