Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storing New Bulbs Prior to Planting

Posted by flower_addict88 7A NC (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 3, 09 at 13:54

I bought some tulip bulbs locally a week or two ago. How should I be storing them until planting time in November?

I had them in my cabinets. I just checked on them and there was a orange/brown thick, sticky like ooze coming from some of them. Two were rotted and I threw those out.

I gently wiped down some of the others. All the other bulbs are firm and dont have any funny smells. They look like healthy bulbs.

How should I be storing them though?

What about storing Daffodil, Hyacinth (Oriental and Grape), and Crocus bulbs?

Thanks,
Danielle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storing New Bulbs Prior to Planting

If you just bought the tulips that recently, I would definitely return them to the store for a refund. They should not be oozing yuck this soon regardless of where you store them! I'd have a hard time trusting the integrity of the others.

Assuming you get good tulip bulbs, it's best to put them in the coolest part of your fridge (NOT with fruit) for 8 to 10 weeks. Put them in and mark your calendar. Plant them then. Tulips need more winter chill than you can reliably give them.

As for the others, store them in a cool, dark, airy place: cellar, under a bed in an air conditioned room, etc .

o

I bought the 4 bags of tulips from Wal Mart (all my others I bought from mail-order).

The selection at Wal Mart is already over half gone. The varities I bought were the most popular, and arent there anymore.

I dont have a basement or a cellar. I havent been really running my central air as it has been cool enough where I live to keep the windows open. It has been in the low 70's to mid/upper 60's during the day.

I guess I will keep them in my fridge until I plant them in November.

Danielle

o

I put the bulbs in an interior closet, where it stays dark and cool.

o

In another thread, it's stated that tulip bulbs do not need refrigerator chilling in your zone. The fridge is a good place to store them, but you don't need to keep them there for as long. It won't be long before you can plant them. Good luck!

o

Yes, I recieved an e-mail back from my county co-op garden representative who said tulip bulbs do not need to be chilled where I live.

The tulips are in my fridge now for storage until planting time in November.

My tulips filled up both of my crisper drawers so the crocus, hyacinths, muscari, and daffodils had to go to the closet.

Thanks,
Danielle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here