Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulb question

Posted by junebugapril Zone 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 13:57

How late I can plant tulips and daffodils in my fairly cold garage in window boxes? I'm in Chicago. I want to put the window boxes out side on my balcony in spring.

Ideally I would plant the bulbs when the bulb companies have their big clearance sales. I've never bought bulbs online before. Do you know when the sales start or which companies are good to buy from?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulb question

• Posted by socalgal USDA z10 Sunset z24, (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 15:49

www.vanengelen.com has a sale in November, usually getting to 40% off if you wait long enough. They sell bulbs in large quantities.

www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com has a sale near Thanksgiving, can be up to 50% off.

There is less selection the longer you wait as companies sell out of many varieties.

How cold is your garage? My climate isn't cold enough for tulips so I have to put them in the refrigerator for 6-12 weeks (wide range, but it depends on who you listen to) before planting. So I'd imagine that if your garage is around refrigerator temperature that the same amount of time would be good.

o

Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 15:56

www.vanengelen.com has a sale in November, usually getting to 40% off if you wait long enough. They sell bulbs in large quantities.

www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com has a sale near Thanksgiving, can be up to 50% off.

There is less selection the longer you wait as companies sell out of many varieties.

How cold is your garage? My climate isn't cold enough for tulips so I have to put them in the refrigerator for 6-12 weeks (wide range, but it depends on who you listen to) before planting. So I'd imagine that if your garage is around refrigerator temperature that the same amount of time would be good.

o

Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 15:57

Sorry, didn't mean to post twice.

o

In zone 5, if you want to plant very late e.g. late November, I would skip the narcissus family and just buy tulips. Narcissus need to be well rooted before the ground is frozen to survive the winter.

o

Aha, thank you! I did get a bunch of daffodils though. I am thinking of planting a lot of bulbs now and keeping them on my balcony floor outside until a hard freeze. Does that sound good? Then bring them inside? We get the first hard freeze in about two weeks. Since they are in window boxes and not protected, maybe I should just put them in the garage now? The garage is not that cold yet, maybe 50 or 50 degrees.

I don't know how cold it gets in the garage. I am thinking maybe 20 - 40 most of the winter.

o

After potting up the bulbs, I would just put them all in your unheated garage for the winter. Remember to check them once in a while and water a little if the soil is bone dry.

o

Now I have another problem. ! I got most of the bulbs potted up and in the garage. But I left the rest of my bulbs out on the balcony. It rained last night. Temperatures are in the 60s. Should I bring the bulbs into the garage and hang them in mesh bags to dry?

I don't have enough containers to plant them all. Do I need to get them potted up right away? If so I have to buy more containers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here