Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daff Foliage Up NOW

Posted by newbie_in_nj 6b E/Central NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 20, 08 at 14:23

I think I saw this addressed in past couple months but can't find thread.

I've got some Daffs that started popping up during summer and foliage is continuing to grow.

Are these goners for bloom next spring?

Just asking so I'll know whether or not to plant something (other bulb or fall sown hardy annual)close by so don't have too many holes.

Thanks if anyone has had this experience or knows what to expect come spring from these early birds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daff Foliage Up NOW

They will be fine. I noticed one of mine was up the other day. These are established bulbs that have been in the ground for 2 years now.

I also found this...My spring bulbs are coming up...in December!

There are usually at least a few posts/inquiries each fall/winter/early spring, with concern about foliage emerging too soon.

Sue

o

Thanks, Sue.

It's in high 30s to mid 40s here at night now.

After reading the thread you linked I'll take mulch off of foliage so ground cools faster around foliage that's up already. I piled it up around foliage thinking I'd protect it from freeze but just the opposite is true.
They grow from the bulb and that's what needs to cool...
Duh, on my part!

Thanks again.

o

Often when the foliage emerges in the fall/winter/early spring, it will show damage from the freezes. That does not however hurt the bud or the bloom. Only occasionally will a bud or bloom be damaged after it has emerged from the ground and then experienced extra cold temps. I have seen daff buds or blooms be covered with a light snow, and then be just fine after the snow melted.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here