Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to stop watering bulbs

Posted by jmac_2008 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 23, 08 at 14:32

This is the first year I'm planting bulbs, and I'm hoping to plant some fall bulbs this week. All of the instructions I have for fall planting advise watering well after putting the bulbs in the ground.

My question is when do I stop watering the newly planted bulbs? I think the first frost in my area will be around mid November or Thanksgiving.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to stop watering bulbs

At this time of year - when evaporation from hot sunlight is minimal - watering once thoroughly after planting is sufficient. In my climate, I even skip that as fall rains will be around momentarily :-))

o

Same here. I don't recall that I have ever watered bulbs.

o

Agree with gardengal48. It's to get the bulb roots started before the first frost in places where the frost will arrive ahead of any significant end of summer rains. Once the roots have started the bulb closes down for the winter and goes into 'anti-freeze' mode. Usually the roots start months before the green shows above the soil.

For those of us with autumn rains and temperate weather - it's not something we need to do, but it is very important for gardeners who work with the inner continental extremes.

o

I'm in zone 4 and was wondering the same thing. I actually just planted my first ever bulbs today. I'm hoping that they will come up in Spring. I watered them after planting them, and would like to know if I shouldn't water them again... and just let them be until they sprout.

o

If you know by physically checking that the water you applied did not get down as far as the bulbs - not enough, very parched soil - whatever - then it could be useful to add a little more.

If you dug the hole/s, watered the bottom, then placed your bulbs - you probably don't need to add any more.

o

I don't even bother watering mine in at all, unless we're having a very dry fall and no rain is predicted.

I've planted thousands of bulbs without watering and they always come up fine. I imagine too much water could make them rot, though.

o

Thanks to everyone for these very helpful responses. The instructions that come with the bulbs are too vague.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here