Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junco1102

What to do with Eremurus bulbs

junco1102
12 years ago

I know nothing about them, but I bought three Eremurus Ruiter-Hybrid Pinocchio bulbs that I will be planting this weekend. I read that, "Eremurus develop into nice big clumps with many blooms." So, how far apart should I plant these three bulbs? Does one bulb put up several stems/flowers, or just one? Should I clump them together, or is it okay to separate them?

Any advice you could provide would be much appreciated.

Junco

Comments (8)

• paulah_gardener
    12 years ago

Plant 36"apart 2-3" deep Plant as soon as you can. I would look it up on a bulb cataloge site--they can tell you more Good luck Paula

• sunrisedigger
    12 years ago

Our friend is right Junco. 36" apart Your depth may vary depending upon your zone. These bulbs need winter protection and can't tolerate the wet slow draining soil. I remember adding sand to my soil mix, digging approx 14"down and placing each atop almost a conical pile then buried the whole thing so each was approx 4-5" below the surface.
    They emerged in spring slowly. They won't however really bloom until that bulb matures. I've learned from other threads.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    12 years ago

Why are you calling them bulbs?
    It is ultra-confusing to anyone who may not be familiar with the octopus/spider looking rhizomatous rootstock.

• junco1102
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the information. They are now in the ground, and I hope to see great things next spring, although I understand that they don't always bloom their first year. (I called them bulbs because I bought them at a bulb sale, and don't know any better.)

Thanks again.
    Junco

• kimpa zone 9b N. Florida.
    12 years ago

I never had good luck with the 3 I bought. But they did get weed competition and were probably too dry being under an eave. I dug them up and left them in the garage by mistake for one whole year. I planted them this year in a pot and a surprise to me got all three to grow but only one bloomed. Will move them next year-maybe I will find the right spot.

I saw a beautiful stand in someone's garden. She had great drainage on a small hillside with full sun and wind protection. Ideal!

• sunrisedigger
    12 years ago

Hi Smivies.. Careless of me to refer to the Eremurus Stenophyllus (Narrow leaf Foxtail Lily) as the bulb.
    Thanks for your spec as being rhizomatous rootstock. According to Lois Hole's "Perennial Favorites" we're both wrong.
    The correct one for this plant is tuberous root(dahlia).
    Similar to tuber but bearing roots. They are actually geophytes: Plants propagated by means of underground buds.
    They include true bulbs,corms,tubers,tuberous roots and rhizomes.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

Among most gardeners we gave up arguing about calling any underground storage organ a bulb, when we know they are not true bulbs, but have the ability to remain alive in the open air for months. This allows them to be shipped around the world with no soil or special atmosphere, and we simply lump them all together and refer to them as bulbs, knowing full well they are not. Al

• sunrisedigger
    12 years ago

Thank you Al.Right you are. I hope we all here can safely and loosely use that term "bulb" knowing that we really don't mean it. I will.Gotta love the Garden Web LOL